Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 Speed transmissions?

Default 5 Speed transmissions?

Because of familiarity and availability my hybrid is going to start life with a 2.3 litre 16 v turbo which in stock form makes about 220 hp and about 200 ft-lbs of torque. I may change out the stock turbo to make more boost at lower rpms etc but that's not relevant right now.

I plan on using a series transfer case and currently have stock 24 spline disco axles. Wonder what a good 5 speed to run might be. A quick search turned up the NV4500 (hd dodge 5 speed). Looked like a nice compact unit that would take anything a 4 cyl could throw at it and then might grow if I do an engine transplant later on.

I am open to recommendations.

I don't have a lot to add, mostly just curious. Is this a ford 2.3 motor? What is your project? I thought a lot about a ford 4 cyl. I think it could do quite well in an 88 inch truck.

As far as transmission, the NV 4500 is an amazing, bullet proof, heavy duty transmission. Much sought after. I am putting one behind my 3.9 L cummins. Others put them behind several hundred horsepower (1000+), high torque motors. There is also a NV 3550 (or something similar) that comes stock on some smaller jeeps (wranglers, etc) that may work for you and be a little smaller. The 4500 is quite heavy!

Good luck with your search and build!

'91 RRC, SWB (tuned up quite nicely, new water pump, needs radiator repaired or replaced and brakes!) Sold😔
    '74 S III, diesel, 109, rhd, hard top
    (patiently awaiting cummings 4bt, nv 4500, and np200!)
    Finally IN PROGRESS!! Sold😖

Saab 2.3 turbo. Very tractable engine that I am intimitely familiar with and can get all parts and components for cheap. I can play around with the pressure plate weight, clutch size, and turbo size to tweak the power delivery range etc.

Default From Novak Adapters website:

Wherever it says "Jeep" think "Land Rover"

NV4500 Mythology

When the NV4500 was released in the mid-nineties, the 4wd aftermarket and magazines latched on quickly. It was uncritically ballied (sic) as the silver bullet and cure-all to any 4wd powertrain problem. Phrases like "Ultimate 4wd Transmission" have been common.

As time and trial have shaken things down, the NV4500 trend is now seen by serious 4wd powertrain aficionados as a prime example of herd instinct. Many individuals have been left unsatisfied with the expense of their transmission investment vs. its benefits. The drawbacks have been:

Gearing:
    The NV4500 has an initially attractive overdrive gear, but with a low gear of only 5.6:1 (most units) and a gear span of 6.07, its position against the heavy-duty four speeds (SM465, T18, SM420 or NP435) is inferior. Choosing the right axle ratio and tire size in conjunction with the right transmission is a smarter strategy than using overdrive as a patch to the system.

Size:
    The length of the transmission, even in its shortest renditions, is too long for many Jeeps, especially those with suspension lifts. The result is u-joint vibration and weakness. The transmission also often requires serious surgery of the body's tunnel to gain back ground clearance.

Expense:
    The initial flurry to get a 4500 drove up salvage prices that have never really ratcheted back down. New units have been available ranging from $2300. - $2600. Parts availability and expense are surprisingly discouraging in addition to frequent year-to-year parts changes. Expense for NVG to build these transmissions is significant. Overdrive adds serious complications to any gearboxes design and manufacturing.

Strength: Weaknesses in the transmission mainshaft clutch splines and their mating hubs (usually 4th & 5th gears) from fatigue and wear are prominent. The HD four-speeds exhibit consistently better strength & wear characteristics.

Adaptability:
    Expenses and complications in adapting to either the engine or the transfer case is high. Clutch linkages also prove challenging.

There are too many NV4500's in Jeeps due to an artificial push by aftermarket profiteers and hungry magazine writers looking for a quick story. Actual research and critical analysis by the thoughtful Jeep builder will more often yield the conclusion that a heavy-duty, four-speed transmission (if not an automatic) will produce better on-road & off-road results with significantly less expense.
    There is an Advance Adapters Series t-case to SM465 adapter

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
    Wherever it says "Jeep" think "Land Rover"

There is an Advance Adapters Series t-case to SM465 adapter
    The series t-case adapter will actually work with more than just the SM465. Matthew Jackson at Advance Adapters can tell you more specific details.

Quote Originally Posted by mongoswede View Post
    Saab 2.3 turbo. Very tractable engine that I am intimitely familiar with and can get all parts and components for cheap. I can play around with the pressure plate weight, clutch size, and turbo size to tweak the power delivery range etc.
    That ought to be quite interesting. Look forward to reading more about this one. My daily driver is an 03 9-3 with the 2.0 T. Knock on wood, has been a great car for me, and still fun to drive!.

As far as the NV 4500, yeah, I must admit, I'm def no expert and my only experience is from what I've heard. This makes twice, recently, that I've heard the 4500 is probably not all it's supposed to be. IDK. I guess I fell into the herd. Fortunately for me however I guess is that I got mine cheap. 1100 bills for a new, never installed unit. hopefully it will last and treat me nice if I treat it nice. Time will tell, if I ever get it on the road!!

'91 RRC, SWB (tuned up quite nicely, new water pump, needs radiator repaired or replaced and brakes!) Sold😔
    '74 S III, diesel, 109, rhd, hard top
    (patiently awaiting cummings 4bt, nv 4500, and np200!)
    Finally IN PROGRESS!! Sold😖

ask anyone who had a mid 90s dodge ram with the NV4500. A friend of my fathers has put 7 of them in his since new in 97.
    67 angry hamsters

Quote Originally Posted by RoverDover View Post
    ask anyone who had a mid 90s dodge ram with the NV4500. A friend of my fathers has put 7 of them in his since new in 97.
    Thats a lot of gears

"they" always say you have to do alot of mods to a transverse engine to get it to work properly in North/South orientation.

not so much....especialy when the engine is based on longitudonal design.