Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got another old rover and it came with a winch, anyone seen one like it before?

Default Got another old rover and it came with a winch, anyone seen one like it before?

hey! i got an old junky rover a couple days ago and it had an old winch mounted to the homemade bumper, its made by loveJoy. it has an electric motor that runs a gearbox, its missing the chain covers, any idea what these are rated for? or if there any good? it looks terrible but it works great so imma clean it up, paint it and put it on my other rover
    1964 Series IIa 109" Pick-Up RHD
    1965 Series IIa 88" Wagon LHD
    1968 Series IIa 109" Station Wagon LHD

Sure that wasn't made by Rube Goldberg?

That looks like it was made back when old mechanics used to make their own air compressors out of junk refrigerators.

Looks like a cool old winch - though I think you are right that a cover would be a nice addition.
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

im not sure it might be, the spindle says lovejoy it has a plate on the gear box but cant read it at the moment, i got it taken apart to clean it up and im getting the mount ready for the other rover, i might have to make a chain cover if i cant find an original for it, and also i need a new cable it worked fine on the junk rover we used it to pull it up on the car dolly

Quote Originally Posted by LaneRover View Post
    Sure that wasn't made by Rube Goldberg?

That looks like it was made back when old mechanics used to make their own air compressors out of junk refrigerators.

Looks like a cool old winch - though I think you are right that a cover would be a nice addition.
    No, Rube made the Whatchacallit 7500lb winch.That is definately the Gizmo 7500 lbs winch,I'm almost certain
    Sean
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

1963 88'' IIa daily driver
    1970 88"
    1971 88"
    authenticstoneworks.com

Default winch info?????

Quote Originally Posted by Triumphdaytona2007 View Post
    hey! i got an old junky rover a couple days ago and it had an old winch mounted to the homemade bumper, its made by loveJoy. it has an electric motor that runs a gearbox, its missing the chain covers, any idea what these are rated for? or if there any good? it looks terrible but it works great so imma clean it up, paint it and put it on my other rover
    Hi,where are U getting the name Lovejoy from? Is there a plate on the starter motor? like Delco-..Is there a tag on the gearbox, on the pillow blocks {bearings)
    on the jack shaft.....count the gear teeth, do the math to calculate your pull #'s
    I spent most of my money on women & cars, the rest of it I just wasted.......

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
    Hi,where are U getting the name Lovejoy from? Is there a plate on the starter motor? like Delco-..Is there a tag on the gearbox, on the pillow blocks {bearings)
    on the jack shaft.....count the gear teeth, do the math to calculate your pull #'s
    hey! lovejoy is on the spindle it says lovejoy chicago IL the gearbox says winfield h smith corp, the sprockets say morse, and the motor says autolite mdw410412v, i thought maybe the winch was homemade but it seems pretty elaborate and well made

That'l trim some unsuspecting fingernails.
    64 SIIa 109 all stock
    69 SIIa 88 all stock
    Old tractors
    New Harleys
    Old trucks

Lovejoy makes power transmission components. I think that the winch is a homemade set up using a right angle gearbox.

Rick
    73 xMOD S3 109
    52 M37

The worm drive box and spool looks vaguely like a Braden, commonly used on old military trucks.

The military Bradens LU4/MU2 are PTO driven.

I googled Winfield H Smith and it appears they made speed reducers.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...-press-209603/

They now go by Winsmith

Rick
    73 xMOD S3 109
    52 M37