Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: K & N Filters

K&N was designed for track use. If you're on pavement, with a carburetor, it'd be a good way to go. If you're in dusty conditions, or using a vehicle with a hot-wire MAF, it may have unintended negative effects.

Just be educated about the give and take of any changes you may contemplate.
    -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD

Quote Originally Posted by a109
    Advice: keep a paper filter to use in dusty conditions. K&N filters are great for some added performance in clear air environments but at a cost to the filtering ability needed in harsh conditions. I found this to my cost.
    I've had the same concerns. 'might be fine for the city folks, but you should see the stuff I shake out of my air filter in the summer, from all the driving on dusty unpaved roads that I do. I've always been leery of "free flowing" air filters as a result. Engineering-wise, there's no free lunch; if the filter lets more air through, it's either got to be alot bigger, or let more dust through as well.

Thumbs down

I have to agree , seems like saying "huge improvement" from an air filter should imply better filtration. when in fact it meant less....

Quote Originally Posted by BarryO
    I've had the same concerns. 'might be fine for the city folks, but you should see the stuff I shake out of my air filter in the summer, from all the driving on dusty unpaved roads that I do. I've always been leery of "free flowing" air filters as a result. Engineering-wise, there's no free lunch; if the filter lets more air through, it's either got to be alot bigger, or let more dust through as well.

Running a snorkel helps with dust, and any filter.

http://www.duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm

This is report on lab testing of a selection of air filters. K&N doesn't fare well.

John

Default K&N air filters

This test seems to me was all about boosting the AC Delco
    brand and knocking down the K&N brand.

Plus there are no reports on who did the testing
    it says that it was unbiased. However, most legit tests will
    post some semblance of who they are.

Dont believe everything you read - I think K&N are good
    filters for most driving conditions (at the very least).

-cheers

I ordered a K&N from RN way back in 02 for my 91 Disco V8. It too made a huge improvment in MPG and HP. Plus taking the horn off made the incoming air make a lot more noise and sounded cool!

Best bet is to use the K&N for every day driving and change it out with a paper filter for dusty trails.

Or even better get a precleaner wrap for it, if it will fit in the air box.

As stated before a snorkle will help to get it up out of the dust, maybe even a 2nd filter on top to pre-filter it.

I dont have to worry too much about dust here, but in Uganda 90% of the roads were muram (packed red clay) and got quite dusty in the dry season. I checked my filter often but didnt see any caking of red mud on it or any in the air tube either. Hopefully for the guy who bought it off me the cylinders didnt get scored too badly if dust did get by.
    First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
    77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
    Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
    04 DII
    08 D3 (LR3)

Quote Originally Posted by landrover77

Plus there are no reports on who did the testing
    it says that it was unbiased. However, most legit tests will
    post some semblance of who they are.

-cheers
    From the link
    " This report presents the results of an ISO 5011 test of several air filters designed for the GM Duramax Diesel. The test was independently performed under controlled conditions using a $285,000 machine at Testand Corp of Rhode Island (manufacturer of the machine). Arlen Spicer, a GM Duramax Diesel owner/enthusiast organized the test. Ken an employee of Testand offered to perform the tests at no charge. (These tests typically cost approx $1700.00 per filter). Ken, also a Diesel enthusiast and owner of a Ford Power Stroke Diesel, shared Arlen’s interest in performing an accurate unbiased test of different types and brands of diesel engine air filters. The filters used in the test were purchased retail and donated by Arlen and other individual Duramax Diesel owners. The detailed reports from the test have been compiled and are presented in the following pages. The final pages of this report present the interesting story how and why Arlen organized the test"

John