Thread: HELP! Tilt wheel stuck full down!

Default HELP! Tilt wheel stuck full down!

HELP!

I've cross posted this on a couple of Rover forums looking for any answer so please don't blast me for the posts... I'm desperate!

I was attempting to reach the driver's side blend motor via the binnacle removal process and I tilted the steering wheel down. Now it won't tilt back up! The wheel will telescope in/out just fine but the tilt is stuck FULL DOWN! I can't get it to release no matter what I do. Can anyone help! PLEASE!

As for the blend motor, I tried to get into the area but will need to remove the entire instrument cluster PLUS the bracket on the right that holds it into the dash in order to gain access. Unfortunately for me, the motor I purchased as a replacement and that was listed explicitly for my year doesn't look anything like the one in my Rover! I won't know for sure until I get everything apart but right now I can't move the steering wheel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Larry

Default Can't anyone help me? PLEASE?!?

I still can't get the wheel unstuck from full down tilt. What's more, I can't even get the cover off the steering column. I've removed what I believe are ALL of the screws from the underside of the plastic cover but it still won't come off. Does anyone know where the tilt pivot point is? Does anyone have a diagram of the lever and its connection to the steering column/wheel?

My Rover is not drivable until I get this fixed.

Default I figured it out!

The lever for tilt and telescope works in two ways. Pulling it out pulls a cable tight that controls the telescope and pulling it toward the steering wheel rim releases the tilt mechanism. The telescope lock is along the steering column under the dash but the tilt is much closer to the wheel, underneath the plastic cover behind the steering wheel. In my case, the end of the tilt/telescope lever, which is tubular, had broken so that it no longer exerted any leverage on the tilt mechanism. I was able to tilt the wheel back up by gently prying on a small arm on the left side of the steering column. I suppose I'll need to find a new lever now if I ever want to tilt the wheel but for now I'm back in business!

Now if only I could get that (*@#&$ blend motor out! The duct to the rear seat heat vent is in the way so I guess I'll just follow the instructions found on another site and cut it out now to reach the motor and patch it back in when I'm done.