Thread: Advice for prospective first-time Defender owner?

Default Advice for prospective first-time Defender owner?

I have been wanting a Land Rover Defender for a long time and am starting to seriously look for one. Can anyone point me to a source of potential problem areas or things to look for when considering purchase of a Defender. I want a 90, but would consider a 110. Mainly wondering what to watch out for. I'm fairly mechanically savvy but just no experience with Defenders specifically.
    All help appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jedidiah Green
    Pursuing North Georgia mountain trout with bamboo fly rods and old 4x4s since 1991
    "I will make you fishers of men" - Christ

All Defenders...look for frame/bulkhead rust
    Check out www.d-90.com
    Plenty of info there...

Good luck...
    Cheers...

Oil leaks can be fixed, head gaskets changed, dents and scratches are easily filled and resprayed, but there is nothing you can do to reverse rust. Yes you can repair and galvanize a bulkhead, put it on a new galvanized frame, and waxoil everything. but its not really worth the effort when rust free truck do exist. Do not worry about mileage or age, just make sure it isnt rusty. And if you buy a cherry truck, get it steam cleaned and rust proofed every year! I carry a can of Fluid Film in the toolbox and apply it anywhere I see fit on a weekly basis.

And if you get a truck with a bulkhead behind the front seats, Its a great place to stash rod tubes and wading staffs!
    67 angry hamsters

Quote Originally Posted by RoverDover View Post
    Oil leaks can be fixed, head gaskets changed, dents and scratches are easily filled and resprayed, but there is nothing you can do to reverse rust. Yes you can repair and galvanize a bulkhead, put it on a new galvanized frame, and waxoil everything. but its not really worth the effort when rust free truck do exist. Do not worry about mileage or age, just make sure it isnt rusty. And if you buy a cherry truck, get it steam cleaned and rust proofed every year! I carry a can of Fluid Film in the toolbox and apply it anywhere I see fit on a weekly basis.

And if you get a truck with a bulkhead behind the front seats, Its a great place to stash rod tubes and wading staffs!
    Waxoyl...that's what I did. I removed the entire exhaust, mid-cross member and fuel skid plate then washed the underside by hand (filthy job) and waxoyled.

Pay close attention to the rear xmember, lots of places for the rust bug to live.

Cheers...

BTW, what is fuild film?

Fluid film is a product sold here at NAPA north of the border. Its made with Lanolin or ’’wool wax’’ it is totally non toxic and has a pleasant smell. It is really resistant to water and never dries out. I like it because it is non-toxic. I dont understand why Rover guy are so crazy about Waxoil, there are so many great rust proofing products out there that cost so much less.
    67 angry hamsters