Thread: 2.5 Diesel glow plug question

Default 2.5 Diesel glow plug question

I've got recommendations on here for a replacement glow plug for the 2.5 diesel motor. That recommendation was for an NGK Y208T.

Interestingly enough I found that RockAuto actually has a listing for a 1985 110 with a 2.5 diesel but they list a different NGK part number. NGK Y907R

Does anyone know what the difference is.?

BTW they also list part numbers for Monroe progressive coil springs.

Never mind, I think I found the answer. Both plugs have the same threads and operate on 12volts. The T indicates a "Fast Heating type" plug while the J indicates what NGK calls a "Self Control type" or self regulating plug. Supposedly the self control plug also heats pretty fast but drops the current draw a little once the plug warms up if I understand it correctly.

Check out the chart from a website I found. Compare the quickstart with the SRM.
    http://www.sparkplugs.com/glossaryImage.asp?imgID=220

I've been using the Y208T's for a couple of years now and it fires right up after 10 seconds of glow-plugging, except on the coldest of New Hampshire winter nights where I need to go 15 seconds.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

If it works that well for you in New Hampshire, it should be more than sufficient down here in Maryland. Thanks man.

Very nice. Haven't tried that yet with mine. However my Cummins 4bt fires right up with no pre heat whatsoever. It is not even equipped with glow plugs or a grid heater. Coldest start so far has been pretty close the same temp as in the video.