Thread: How to discharge AC System Safely

Default How to discharge AC System Safely

Is it possible for a home mechanic to remove the refrigerant from the ac system safely? Would a set of guages and an empty refigerant tanke be sufficent? I need to remove a bracket holding the A/C Compressor and want to make sure the system isn't pressurized. The car cannot be driven so I have to do it at home.

Why the need to depressurize? I have always been able to take the bracket off and move the pump and bracket (together) out of the way even when doing something like an engine swap.

But isn't the compressior full of refigerant? I need to disconnect the bracket to use on my other RR, but even that case the compressor is dead and I will need to disconnect it.

You'd need a vacuum pump, a refridgerant storage tank and some proper fitted hose to do this job. So, it's not a home mechanics job anymore, unless you do like the "Old Days" and loosen the fittings and let it vent to the atmosphere (which is illegal now...).

'95 R.R. Classic LWB
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S

That's what I thought - the problem that I have is my no road worthy RRC has the pully bracket that I need for the running one. I can take the running one to a show and have them evacuate the system. Can you rent on of these A/C vacuum machines?

Hmmmm. That is a problem, if it were the running one you'd be home-free. I don't know if these machines are available for rent, but you never know. Maybe ask around at small repair shops, there may even be a mobile service in your area. If only you could get the bracket off without disconnecting the lines, and leave the compressor for later attention..

'95 R.R. Classic LWB
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S