Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daily Driving

Default Daily Driving

I am curious how many guys use their series as their dd for everything? If so, how have you enjoyed it and what did you do to make them more "friendly" for lack of a better word..lol
    1969 Series 2a Bugeye

I use my 82 exmod 109 amd my wife uses a 83 D110. I love using both of them

Default DD

I drive my ex mod 109 to work between three and five times a week with each round trip being approx 25 miles. I also drive it around town throughout the weekend. Since august I have completed a 1000 mile, 500 mile, and 180 mile drive. My rover is pretty much stock and could be better I guess. I have actually went the wrong way regarding comfort. I replaced my old tore up basic seats with exmoor deluxe seats. That was a huge mistake. For some reason the 50 mile drives feel like 500 now. One improvement I made was I cut up some gym floor matting to serve as floor mats. I must say I drive it because it's different and quirky. By no means is it my most reliable or best 4x4 I have owned. As long as I remind my self about why I drive it then I think it's a much better ride and I don't feel let down.
    1971 Ex Mod IIA 109
    1985 D110
    1998 D1 (Sold)

NC,

What do you dislike about the exmoor highback seats? I've thought about those for a long time...
    Tom P.
    1965 exMoD 109
    1995 RRC LWB w/EAS

Default seats

Joe,
    I have the exmoor deluxe seats. They are like the standard seats, but are pleated. They are not high back. For some reason the seat bottom has a hard foam ridge that runs right up the middle of my thigh / butt when sitting. Its not a flat seat cushion. I was also looking at the high back seats to replace the ones i just bought. My wife would ****** me though if i bought another set of new seats. Those will come in time.
    1971 Ex Mod IIA 109
    1985 D110
    1998 D1 (Sold)

The early "genuine" deluxe seat bottoms with "dunlopillo" foam are the best, but they are all getting long-in-the-tooth by now. You could scrounge around for an old, useable, set of seat bottoms . Or possibly talk with an auto-upholstery shop about re-foaming your seats...
    Tom P.
    1965 exMoD 109
    1995 RRC LWB w/EAS

Quote Originally Posted by Billy5 View Post
    I am curious how many guys use their series as their dd for everything?

Probably get a little more play on this if you posted it in the Series forum, but...

Except for 1 or2 winters when my rover took a self-imposed vacation, I've driven my 109 daily for 7 years now.

If so, how have you enjoyed it...[?]
    Sometimes it is miserable torture. Sometimes it's great fun. More fun than torture overall.

...and what did you do to make them more "friendly" for lack of a better word..lol
    Installed a rover diesel to make it more wallet-and-remote-travel-friendly. Other than that, not much. Radial tires, maybe. The world is full of "friendlier" cars. I didn't want any of those, though. I hear Ford Explorers and Nissan X-terras are friendly.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

True, but I was afraid to because its not "technical"..lol. Thank you for your advice by the way. I dont really want "friendly" either to a degree. I have deluxe seats so thats a plus. I was curious as to what some have done. I dd mine, ( hence all my damn questions), and get nervous one in awhile but getting over it. Thank you for replying.

Funny you mention Xterras, I drove through a nissan dealership and stopped to look at a pick up, one of the shop guys " you are not trading that..for one of these POS?"..I said um..no.
    1969 Series 2a Bugeye

Funny you mention Xterras, I drove through a nissan dealership and stopped to look at a pick up, one of the shop guys " you are not trading that..for one of these POS?"..I said um..no.

That's the difference between the shop guys and the salesmen. One's more honest than the other
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

They spent at least 10 mins looking, asking, it was quite nice I must say. I have a ball using it everyday, even though I get all nervous and ask tons of dopey questions, to which I am grateful and hope to return favor.
    1969 Series 2a Bugeye