Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Strange Noise

Default New Strange Noise

My Series Rover has developed a new strange noise. It sounds like a power steering pump that is whining. Since I don't have power steering I know it can't be that. I have removed the fan belt to eliminate alternator and water pump bearings and the noise is still there. It seems to do it more after it warms up and I generally hear it at lower RMPs but the engine noise could just be drowning it out. If it is of any help my Rover is equipped with an oil cooler and I have just added a fan shroud since it didn't have one when I got it. It would seem to me that it can't be the fan shroud since the noise continues after the fan belt is removed even though it seemed to have started after I put it on. Oil pressure is good as is water temp. Any suggestions on what to check next would be greatly appreciated.
    Jim

Have you checked the power steering pump?
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Quote Originally Posted by jp-
    Have you checked the power steering pump?

-L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD

my heated seats make this noise when they're switched on

sorry I have no clue but my new FJ Cruiser also makes this noise and it drives me nuts

is it just me, or does owning a series have a multiplying affect on our sarcastic tendencies? i guess i should have bought mine before getting married. 20+ years has condition me to not hear new strange noise so i don't hear 'em when my truck makes 'em.

are you eliminating things with bearings because it sounds like a whining-about-to-die-bearing? when i do think i hear something i take my big mombo screwdriver, place the handle against my ear and the other end on varies spots to find the source. it's an easy way to pin point a sound source.
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

Your description sounds like a hydrolic whine.
    Maybe oil pushing past a thermatic bypass valve for the cooler or simply a restriction in the oil cooling system?
    Could be cavitation in the oil system too....Is it low on oil?

jim

Jim,

The noise comes from the relief valve at the entrance of the oil cooler - at a certain flow it will resonate (i.e. squeal!). Mine typically only does it in a nose-down-coming-to-a-complete-stop situation. This has been confirmed many times on the UK message boards.

Don't be too concerned, just make sure the oil level is full...

<edited to say, "man, Mercedesrover hit it right on the head - good call Jim Y!>

Regards,

Tom P.
    Last edited by luckyjoe; 05-03-2007 at 01:19 PM.
    Tom P.
    1965 exMoD 109
    1995 RRC LWB w/EAS

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonian1976
    my heated seats make this noise when they're switched on
    My heated seats aren't making any noise. I'll have to get that looked at.

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Quote Originally Posted by scott
    is it just me, or does owning a series have a multiplying affect on our sarcastic tendencies?
    It's just you.

Once when driving across country my 65 developed a whine at idle that went away when I was on the gas. I assumed that the alternator was going. It finally lost all power heading on to a highway in Oregon - which really helped me decide to camp in that town for the night. The next day, after switching out the alternator the whine was still there.

It ended up being a loose carburetor. When the gas pedal was pushed it closed up the gap, at idle there was just enough of a gap to produce the whine.

Probably not that but one never knows....

Lanerover

"Say what you will about the Ten Commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them."

H. L. Mencken