Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Series Purchase Authorized! Now what?

One consideration.... ALL TEENAGERS WRECK THIER FIRST CAR.

Sure - there will be plenty of folks who pipe up and follow my post with stories of flawless driving records and Saint-like childhood experiences but lets keep it real and be honest with each other... ALL TEENAGERS WRECK THIER FIRST CAR.

Sometimes the wreck is a stumble into a mailbox or hitting the garage door... sometimes it is a triple-lindy down a highway embankment.

(Also refer back to the KEG PARTY / PASSENGER RATIO comment before)

Do not get me wrong - buy the Series, love the Series, become one with EP90... just manage the teenager expectations.
    Firemanshort
    1980 Stage One
    (Past owner of 1973 Series III - Highlander)

Rovers are great, and lots of fun, but not necessarily the safest transportation for a young teenager learning to drive. Get your daughter something safe and sound, with modern braking and reliable.

Get the Rover for yourself and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by I Leak Oil View Post
    As a former trouble making teenager and now parent...I'd go with the 88". The friends per car load to keg party ratio is much lower than it would be in a 109"
    I got 13 drunk guys in my 109 regular for a bachelor party, teens could improve on that, go for an 88.

While I'd have concerns with a teen driving a rover, the flip side is that there is no opportunity to text or talk on a cell with a rover, the driving experience forces compliance

FWIW, if she learns to drive the Series, she will be able to drive anything! And that was my dad's thought when I learned to drive.....he would not teach me in the automatic, only the stick.

Anyway, it is a very rudimentary vehicle that is not remotely like driving any of the other classic Brit cars I have. That said, I enjoy it and it has filled the "void" for me....a classic Brit car that I can drive year round and that will handle the snow in Colorado.

I'd buy it, and if your daughter does not enjoy it, perhaps she could drive one of your other two vehicles and you could drive the Series full time!

I agree with the comments on a Series III due to the all synchro gearbox--or at least one that has been converted to a SIII box. Will make it a lot easier for your daughter and all to use and learn to drive!

Good luck,
    Julian
    Julian
    72 Series III NAS
    03 Disco
    04 Freelander (sold, but still running strong)
    2011 LR2 (Fuji White/Tan....per the wife )
    65 MGB / 73 MGBGT
    71 RHD Hillman Super Imp

Galloway British Columbia Canada and Jefferson City Missouri

Buy, Buy, Buy before she comes to her senses. It only took me three years of wining to have the boss give me permission to buy my 68. I agree with the other comments that if you teach her to drive the series anything else will be a cake walk. They are not that bad to drive and she might really like it.(the benifit is it is all she has driven and she won't know better) I learned to drive a stick 69 Ford and took that truck everywhere. Power steering is over rated anyway.
    1968 Series IIA
    1987 D90 Kid's project
    German wirehair Pointer (Wood Hound)

Quote Originally Posted by Skookumchuck View Post
    Buy, Buy, Buy before she comes to her senses. It only took me three years of wining to have the boss give me permission to buy my 68. I agree with the other comments that if you teach her to drive the series anything else will be a cake walk. They are not that bad to drive and she might really like it.(the benifit is it is all she has driven and she won't know better) I learned to drive a stick 69 Ford and took that truck everywhere. Power steering is over rated anyway.
    Do you have anything in writing? Memories get foggy after a while...

Quote Originally Posted by Firemanshort View Post
    One consideration.... ALL TEENAGERS WRECK THIER FIRST CAR.

Sure - there will be plenty of folks who pipe up and follow my post with stories of flawless driving records and Saint-like childhood experiences but lets keep it real and be honest with each other... ALL TEENAGERS WRECK THIER FIRST CAR.

Sometimes the wreck is a stumble into a mailbox or hitting the garage door... sometimes it is a triple-lindy down a highway embankment.

(Also refer back to the KEG PARTY / PASSENGER RATIO comment before)

Do not get me wrong - buy the Series, love the Series, become one with EP90... just manage the teenager expectations.

I would have to agree with the the above statement, Although in my daughters case, it was the first two plus 3 tickets (shes taking a break from driving for a while)

I completely understand the desire to keep connected with your daughter, I have a nice fly rod and a lot of lacrosse gear piled around to document the effort. But I might suggest air bags and good brakes for your new driver with some quality father daughter time in the Rover on the way to getting a tattoo or piercing or something fun like that.
    02 Discovery SD
    60 88 -Stubby
    69 88 BUGEYE

Galloway British Columbia Canada and Jefferson City Missouri

Quote Originally Posted by homerhermit View Post
    I would have to agree with the the above statement, Although in my daughters case, it was the first two plus 3 tickets (shes taking a break from driving for a while)

I completely understand the desire to keep connected with your daughter, I have a nice fly rod and a lot of lacrosse gear piled around to document the effort. But I might suggest air bags and good brakes for your new driver with some quality father daughter time in the Rover on the way to getting a tattoo or piercing or something fun like that.

I about fell off the chair reading this
    1968 Series IIA
    1987 D90 Kid's project
    German wirehair Pointer (Wood Hound)

Default Mom

I think a bunch of her attitude regarding a series rover will be what she has been exposed to as a child. My mom (60) has driven my IIa 109 with no issues on grocery runs. She has always driven box or full size broncos. My wife refuses to get behind the wheel of my rover and she grew up with nicer cars.
    1971 Ex Mod IIA 109
    1985 D110
    1998 D1 (Sold)

My GF and Mother and 2 sisters all drive manual and have driven trucks in the past, but without powersteering and the sheer leg power need to press down the clutch pedal, none of them will drive my 90. I drive my Defender 45 kms every day and love the rattle of diesel, vibrating aluminium sheetmetal, humming of mud tyres, howling spiral bevel diff gears, and banging of military spec suspension. My GF doesnt mind short jaunts, but everyday use or a long road trip is a bit much for her. The thing she really hates is the oil, fuel and exhaust fumes.
    67 angry hamsters