Thread: Disco I clicking and clunking...

Default Disco I clicking and clunking...

My recently purchased 96 Disco I has developed some new noises over the last week. As I come to a stop I hear a distinct click as if something is loose when the vehicle is slowing. Initially I thought the jack was tapping the back of the headlight housing. this wasn't the case however. When I slow to about 5-10 mph it makes the noise. any opinions and advice to fix?

The Clunking i am talking about occurs when i shift the transmission into drive or reverse...(obviously an automatic) at a stand still. Is there anything I can do to eliminate this noise? I feel like the gear box is going to fall off or something.

Any takers!!!???

Default Disco1 clicking and clunking...

I have a 95 disco and it occasionaly makes a light to moderate clunk
    when I shift. My understanding is that the discovery has had reports
    of this even when fresh off the line. So I would not worry too much
    unless it gets real bad.

Note when you hear the clicking: is it during A/C operation, what side of the vehicle is it heard, with the A/C on try putting the rover in park, pop the hood and listen for a minute. Note if it happens when the rover is still cold (meaning just started up) or if its hot (running for awile).

I tend to gauge my Rovers "state of health" by whether the acceleration
    is strong, if the fuel consumption is acceptable or absurd and if it is making odd sounds (from either in the cabin or in the mechanics).

There are other factors to consider in the health of a Rover but those I think are some big ones.

unfortunately i believe that you are right about the clunking sound... the clicking however only takes place as i apply the brakes and come to a complete stop or at least almost. I don't typically use the AC as it doesn't really cool so this is what lead me to think the click is transmission or brake related. Any new thoughts???

clicking when coasting and turning may mean a bad c.v. joint.
    without hearing it it sounds like the normal clunk we all have..slack in the drive train..keep your foot on the brake to keep slack at a minium