Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1969 Series IIa - no third gear

Quote Originally Posted by knac1234 View Post
    Wilsboar,

Last year, my Series III all of a sudden lost 3rd/4th gear (limped home in 2nd w/OD!!).

Anyway, to make a long story short, with help from this board I was able to determine that the synchro spring clips had snapped and were jamming the synchro's movement. Not knowing a thing about transmissions, I was able to repair this with the tranny in place by removing the top cover; removing the gearshift and the selecting mechanism; draining the oil; and then pulling out the broken clips and replacing them with very long needle nose pliers.

Total repair cost (oil, new gearshift lever that caused the issue by trying to select two gears at once, extra clips, long right angled needle nose pliers): less than $100.

If this is the issue, then it is doable. You will lose a half pound of skin from your knuckles when reaching in there though!!!!

Good luck,
    Julian
    Very interested in this process Julian. I too lost 3rd and 4th two nights ago and limped home in 2nd with OD.

I pulled the top cover and expected to see a broken shifting fork, but it looks fine. The issue appears to be limited travel of the ring in the center of the syncro hub for 3rd and 4th. (I can't get 3rd or 4th and when I was trying to shift, there was strong resistance in the gearshift lever, but not a "clunk" metal to metal resistance. It was more of a binding feel.)

I'm thinking my clips may have broken as well. I've not looked in to see yet, but hoping that is the issue if it can be repaired without pulling the whole unit out. The trans is quiet and has never given me any issues, so it doesn't need a rebuild. I just need to be able to shift!

I know nothing about transmissions, so I'm in uncharted waters here... Any additional comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!

OK, I rocked the truck back and forth in 2nd to rotate the syncro for 3/4. No clips broken, but one is out of place. Instead of the normal position, flat in line with the shaft, it is rotated 90 degrees. Up on it's edge. This prevents the ring from sliding forward or backward and was the resistance I was feeling when unable to shift into 3 or 4.

Did some digging and found a lot of folks that said the trans must be pulled and syncro clips replaced out of the truck, but like Julian, there are a few who said it can be done in place. Attached is a very helpful link should someone else be faced with this clip problem - either broken or our of place like mine.

http://www.4wdonline.com/LandRover/S...chroClips.html

You must be really unlucky--I've never heard of one of those springs turning up on edge and jamming up the works. Usually they just snap across the flat part and fall out, then you begin the "double-clutching through all the gears" lifestyle.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Pm left. I have a series two a trans/transfer if you need one.

I have a problem with my 1967 Series IIA..can't shift to 3rd or 4th gear. The transmission has worked well...no noise, smooth shifting. However, after stopping at a stop sign and starting off in second gear, I could not shift into 3rd or 4th gear. I have read the forums and the same problem experienced by others and would like to hear from anyone who can help. I see that knac1234(Julian) repaired the problem and had photos. If possible I would like to communicate with Julian and see his photos if he still has them. I have owned my Land Rover for 43 years. I can be contacted at (757) 482-2265 or on my cell phone at (757) 510-6757. Thanks. Chuck
    Last edited by charleslong; 05-01-2013 at 11:43 AM. Reason: To give more information