Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Noisy?

Quote Originally Posted by disco2hse View Post
    Assuming you're referring to the bell housing. The drain plug (correctly referred as the wading plug) is only inserted when fording, driving on beaches, or driving through deep mud.
    Hmmm...well I'm getting enough oil out of the drain hole when the rover is running to make a mess on the ground. Symptom of a bad flywheel seal?

Deleting double post sorry.

Rear main seal if the oil is black.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Quote Originally Posted by SafeAirOne View Post
    Rear main seal if the oil is black.
    Yuppers. Yet another seal I'll be needing

The Young Ones. So funny in 1981. ahhh student days

Sorry, completely off topic
    Alan

109 Stage 1 V8 ex-army FFR
    2005 Disco 2 HSE

http://www.youtube.com/user/alalit

OK so I pulled the valve cover off...anything in particular I should be seeing? I can't see anything wrong, but then I've never dug into an engine quite like this. I'm clearing the oil off now as best I can.

Is there anything I can adjust here that might fix the noise? As I said I have no experience doing this kind of work, but thats partially why I got it to begin with. I've attached pics.

Default before you get carried away

I'd adjust the valves and change the oil and go for a ride. I don't see much smoke considering what it is. It sounds weird for sure but a lot of that might be the recording. They are noisy, stinky, rattly,filthy, and generally ill mannered.

I would see if you have actual oil pressure with a real gauge or fire it up with the valve cover off and see what kind of mess occurs when you idle it up a bit.

Make sure you have the intake hooked up properly to the air cleaner and that you have the appropriate amount of oil in the aircleaner. They are really loud on the intake and surprising loud without a muffler or with a bad exhaust.

Any update on the oil pressure ?
    No or to low oil pressure and you have a dead engine before long, Guess how I know
    Last edited by Lalo88DK; 03-25-2012 at 11:17 AM.

By the way, the oil should be black in a diesel engine. However if there are other particles in the oil it could signal other problems. The only way to know is to get a sample analysed.
    Alan

109 Stage 1 V8 ex-army FFR
    2005 Disco 2 HSE

http://www.youtube.com/user/alalit