Thread: Series III Price

Default Series III Price

I know this is really hard to do without pictures but I was wondering what you all think a 1974 Series III is worth with the following:

The bad.

1. Frame is shot, I mean shot, there is no repairing this.
    2. Leaf springs/shocks are shot
    3. Body panels are ok, some have some dents and dings, right rear quarter has a pretty big dent in it.
    4. Someone drilled a few holes in the roof (4 1/2 holes), no idea why.
    5. Could probably use a paint job but not necessary if you are ok with a crappy paint job, ha ha.

The good.
    1. Runs like a champ
    2. Transmission is great
    3. All the interior is there and is in pretty good shape.
    4. Bulkhead is good.
    5. Clean title.
    6. no electrical issues

I ask because I bought one and am wondering if I paid too much for it, I thought it was a decent deal but am not sure. It was in my budget and what I could afford so I needed something that needed some work. Just a ballpark of what you all think would be appreciated.

Forgot to mention that it is a LHD NAS.

Quote Originally Posted by bstraw View Post
    I thought it was a decent deal but am not sure. It was in my budget and what I could afford so I needed something that needed some work. Just a ballpark of what you all think would be appreciated.

If you think it was a decent deal, then whatever you paid for it is what it is worth. Doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks. Without anyone seeing your purchase in person, you're going to get answers from $400 to $8,000 here.

Probably best to look around for Rovers that have recently sold, that are what you envision your rover someday being. Not the for sale price, but the sold price.

Take the price it sold for and subtract the cost of the parts necessary to get yours in to the condition of the one you are referencing. That'll get you in the ballpark of the value of yours. Don't bother including the cost of your labor. Very few of us will ever recoup our labor costs when we sell our rovers.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

^^^^Spot on Approach^^^^

Having just purchased my next barn/field find I concur with this approach.

Both of mine require work, one more than the other to command a sale price of what the market is paying...aka anywhere from $5K to above $20K. You need to have a good idea of what is blown, and what you can get away with, factor that in and figure out if you have a "good deal" - which is always subjective...

your biggest coin is going to be in the frame - looking at over $3K just to buy it, if you can do the work at home yourself cool....but if you cant't - another few thou' to a mechanic...guaranteed you might as well add on another $1K in parts that will need replacing when you have the frame off...like fuel tank, brake lines, maybe even brakes???? Doing it RIGHT to get a wonderful LR you could drive everyday without a problem...would put you in about $5K in parts alone I would think.

BUT HEY - welcome to the club!!!!
    1963 Series IIa 109" 5 door Safari top (SOLD to new home)
    1971 Series IIa 88" Soft top (SOLD to new home)
    1995 RRC - LWB
    2001 Discovery II SE7 (SOLD to new home)

People's Republick of Cambridge & Malpais CR

Worth is soooooo subjective. If it wasn't, diamonds would cost 10 bux a carrot, teachers would make mid six figures, and no one would pay anything for a rusted truck made in 1974.

All that said, sight unseen, 3 to $5K is in the ball park for what you bought. BTW, last year I paid $9K for 1976 SIII, I think thats about what they sold for new....
    The Toltec Coffee fleet....
    96 FZJ80: 3XL, lifted, and shaved
    94 FZJ 80: our Costa Rican coffee and surf mobile
    70 Series IIA 88: After 18 months of wrenching, its alive and legal to drive!
    70 Series IIA 88: in US on H-1B visa
    56 Series I 86: a whole new type of rover hell....

Quote Originally Posted by bstraw View Post
    I know this is really hard to do without pictures but I was wondering what you all think a 1974 Series III is worth with the following:

The bad.

1. Frame is shot, I mean shot, there is no repairing this.
    2. Leaf springs/shocks are shot
    3. Body panels are ok, some have some dents and dings, right rear quarter has a pretty big dent in it.
    4. Someone drilled a few holes in the roof (4 1/2 holes), no idea why.
    5. Could probably use a paint job but not necessary if you are ok with a crappy paint job, ha ha.

The good.
    1. Runs like a champ
    2. Transmission is great
    3. All the interior is there and is in pretty good shape.
    4. Bulkhead is good.
    5. Clean title.
    6. no electrical issues

I ask because I bought one and am wondering if I paid too much for it, I thought it was a decent deal but am not sure. It was in my budget and what I could afford so I needed something that needed some work. Just a ballpark of what you all think would be appreciated.

I purchased a 1974 NADA truck in 2006 in the same condition. Chassis was shot but everything else was decent and it came with a spare bulkhead. What you describe is very similar to what I started with when restoring it. I offered what I felt it was worth $1000. Seller thought about it for 3 days and then sold it to me.

Just think positive and of the final product!

Paid mine 500$ a 1973 nas 88'' in around the same condition as yours.

Some pictures the day I bought it: https://picasaweb.google.com/MartinD...eat=directlink

Pics of the frame swap and all the work done here: https://picasaweb.google.com/MartinD...eat=directlink

Project is now over and cost me roughly 8500-9000$ in parts and goodies. I did all the work by myself. Its not a trailer queen and im not afraid to use it for what it was design for.

I will say your chassis was even better than mine as you could fit a fist through many of the holes in my chassis before replacement.
    1973 NADA 88

Default 500 is great!

You did well. 500 is a great start for something you will have to work with. I paid more than that for a hammered 1965 ex mod, that needed frame, motor, electrics, and all the new plumbing. I think you did will.