Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who Insures Your Series?

Default Who Insures Your Series?

My current insurance carrier just dropped me (after they had to pay out because I was a victim of a hit and run and my wife got hit by a guy with expired insurance) and I need a new policy to cover my SIII 109. The problem is that none of the standard (Nationwide, Geico, Progressive) big name companies know what to do with my Series, which on it's vin plate says it's a '64 SIIA. The underwriters just say no.

I've got around $15k in my rover (with receipts to prove it) and am looking for a policy that will cover my butt for that amount if something terrible happens (theft, act of god....).

Who do you guys use to insure your Series Rovers? For what amount? At what cost?

Ever had to file a claim for repair or total loss? Was the payout equitable?
    '75 SIII 109 Diesel - I'm in deep.

State Farm just insured me for $39/month with a 1k deductible. It was a funny process as i gave the guy my VIN and it took him a day to find out how to classify my 1969 SIIa 109 in the database.

I am with Hagerty, which was cheaper than my normal auto policy. Also look at Chubb. I hear great things about them. Lastly, search the forum for agreed upon value...or something like that. Basically, you want one over the other.

Jason

I use Vermont Mutual for all my vehicles and my home. They have it in their books and gave me an agreed upon value of $13,000. It took some doing, but I have found if you go through a small independent insurance office, they will do a lot of the jumping through the hoops for you, and will price out the coverage with 12 or more companies that they underwrite for, thus saving me from running around to all of the big insurers myself.

They reprice my policy with their various companies annually, and when I have compared coverage with the bigger firms like State Farm, Liberty Mutual etc, I am always ahead of their quotes. Sorry I don't have the policy papers in front of me to let you know what the monthly premium is.
    Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

I'm with AAA Arizona. I've been with triple A for decades.

I'm currently paying mid $400/yr for both my 1960 Land Rover and my 1961 Triumph TR3. Unlimited mileage and only the 3 lives in a garage. I pay the whole thing up front to avoid interest charges. I have a stated value of $20,00 each on them and a $500 deductible.

Last ticket was 1989. My insurance last paid out to me in 1970 when the bonnet to my car flew up whilst motoring. Last accident was 1975 when my vehicle was stationary and I was backed into by a power pole on a trailer.

I'm the only person I know who can honestly claim my car was run into by a power pole.

I have Geico. About 800 for the year. I live in NY so that explains a lot. I don't have a deductible, but I am not covered for damage to my truck only someone one else.
    1969 Series 2a Bugeye

Galloway British Columbia Canada and Jefferson City Missouri

I need to get insurance here as well just moved the wife down to Missouri and will be bringing down the Rover as soon as the motor swap is done. Anyone have insurance experince here in Missori? Thanks
    1968 Series IIA
    1987 D90 Kid's project
    German wirehair Pointer (Wood Hound)

No experience in Missouri but I pay $70 every 6 months to AAA in Maine. I have no collision and won't until I get the bulkhead and front wing work done. At that point I'll be looking into a stated no depreciation value hopefully thru them.
    Jim

Allstate carries mine. Its a bit of a juggle but the agent has doumentation from me as well as photographs.
    1973 Series III 88. "PHYDXO"

Quote Originally Posted by bullstanky View Post
    My current insurance carrier just dropped me (after ....

Who do you guys use to insure your Series Rovers? For what amount? At what cost?
    My Rovers are with American Collectors Insurance, Inc. They have been really easy to deal with.

mike
    ---------------------------
    1961 Ser IIa Hybrid Defender
    1969 Ser IIa Bugeye
    1980 Ser III Lightweight 24V RHD- sold
    1988 LR90 turbo diesel RHD - currently frame off rebuild in progress
    1998 Disco - ex wife :-(
    2000 Disco - RIP , end over end 2.5 times
    2010 RR Sport Supercharged

http://mikerovers.shutterfly.com/