Thread: IIA 88 body onto Disco Chassis

Default IIA 88 body onto Disco Chassis

Just found a '95 Discovery - it doesn't appear to have any body damage that would have compromised the rolling chassis (slight rear end damage; probably didn't keep it from running at the time). It's at a friend's salvage yard and he's worried about the engine being bad (4.0 V-8).
    Also, he doesn't know what parts may have been pulled, the interior is trashed with dashboard clearly cannibalized but no apparent engine bay parts gone. How hard are motors to come by or rebuild. Assuming it's free or near free (say, < $500) should I go for it or keep looking. It's an automatic but that's all I've ever seen.

What is the collective wisdom? Also, how much difference is there between the LR V-8 and the GM version?

It can be done but takes a lot of fab work. If you are up to the challenge go for it. The Rover V8 doesn't share a bolt pattern with any other GM engines, however there are plenty of the engines out there if your's is bad.

You'd more or less be involved in a project akin to this one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgeki...layer_embedded
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Well, I decided to keep looking because I've heard of ridiculous prices (like $200-$500) for running Disco I's around here. Also, I'd really like a manual tranny. Will I be able to mount the Series body on the Disco chassis in such a way as to make stuff line up from the front end back? How far off will the Disco I manual tranny shift lever be from the Series shift lever location? I assume that the clutch pedal linkage is not much of a problem since the clutch pedal communicates with the clutch hydraulically. I could easily live with electric fan(s) if doing away with the engine mounted fan cures some space problems. What's the give and take there?

i have a shortened disco chassis that is getting a series body. we cut about 12 inches out of the middle of the chassis. project on hold at the moment. if you want to use a full length disco or rangie chassis it is 100" wheelbase. consider putting a truck cab on and a flatbed...otherwise you are in for a fair bit of aluminum work to cut down a 109 pu bed to fit.

Well, I've heard that, but the IIA body I have is an 88; some have commented that the drive shaft will be pretty short if I cut down the Disco chassis enough to match up with the 88. What do you think? Will the drive shaft just be "pretty short" or will it be "too short"?

What transmission do you plan to use? There are different length bellhousings and input shafts on the R380 for Defender vs. Disco. If you are going to do THIS MUCH fabrication work the rear drive shaft should be the least of your worries at this point.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

I have found a Disco I with a stock manual tranny that I plan to use.

Yup, exactly correct. If you want to use an R380 and still retain the Series recessed front end, you need the Stumpy. I just picked my up at the airport last weekend. Beware though. The Stumpy will not bolt to the Rover V8. You will need an adapter plate, use a Series 9-1/2" clutch, drill the Disco flywheel to match the Series clutch, cut approx 1/2" off of the V8 crank and fit a bushing adapter for the gearbox input shaft.
    '62 109 - coil sprung
    '64 88 - coil sprung

Sounds like an interesting project. Some great advice on drivetrain mods.

Your next big job going to be devising mounts for the firewall and the front fenders and rear box. And you have to figure out how to mount the fuel tank. I would suggest using a series fuel tank as it fits nicely under the pass seatbox. The disco frame is jot nearly as robust ae the series frame,.bb but that should pose no problems.
    1970 Series IIA 88".,...the REAL Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.