Thread: Diesel Ignition Switch and Glow Plugs

Default Diesel Ignition Switch and Glow Plugs

OK so I finally got an proper owners manual for my Land Rover thats in english and realized that my ignition switch is not the correct type at all. My rover has a 3 position switch which is preventing the glow plugs from heating up correctly. I suspect this is a big reason why I have to jump my rover and crank it for an extened period before it finally starts.

Anyway I think I sourced the correct replacement as being http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-1...ch-diesel.aspx

I could go the more expensive genuine part way but thats not really a big concern for me.

Also, has anyone ever sourced replacement glow plugs from US shops like Advance Auto Parts or so on? I'd like to replace my glow plugs, especially to the newer types if possible that heat up faster. I've seen some of those kits to do this, but they are kind of rediculous price wise and then you have to get them shipped from the UK.

1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

A Series diesel ignition switch has only three positions, you need to hold the key just before the starter kicks in and hold it there while you watch the glow plug light turn on and count to about 10-15. (Just between position 2 and 3). Turn the key to second position and then turn the key just a little bit more and hold it there, while the glow plugs do their job and then press it just a bit more to start the engine. They don't have a timed glow relay.
    If the glow plug light don't turn on you probably have a defective glow plug. The glow plugs are series connected, so if one doesn't work, none of them work.
    I have replaced mine with the later type, then you don't have to use the resister coil either.
    Last edited by Lalo88DK; 03-25-2012 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lalo88DK View Post
    A Series diesel ignition switch has only three positions, you need to hold the key just before the starter kicks in and hold it there while you watch the glow plug light turn on and count to about 10-15. (Just between position 2 and 3). Turn the key to second position and then turn the key just a little bit more and hold it there, while the glow plugs do their job and then press it just a bit more to start the engine. They don't have a timed glow relay.
    If the glow plug light don't turn on you probably have a defective glow plug. The glow plugs are series connected, so if one doesn't work, none of them work.
    I have replaced mine with the later type, then you don't have to use the resister coil either.
    Ah well that did it. I guess the manual just confused me as it made it sound as if there was an additional stop before the starter. I believe mine is working as the light came in dim but not bright as stated in the manual. Its still being stubborn on the start and need a good deal of cranking and connection to another car before it goes but I'm hoping to solve that in the next few months. I finally have a garage to put it in so I'm gonna start the teardown and will do an engine rebuild at the same time.

How's the battery? I had similar issues (dim cold start light & eventual clicking of the starter) until I replaced the battery with a Group 27 with 800CCA (cold cranking amps). If you need to jump it to get it to start, that's where I'd begin.
    rikuwoiku — to travel overland.
    1982 Series III 88" (RHD w/2.8L Daihatsu diesel)
    2002 Discovery II SE

CentreSteer.com — A podcast by, for, and about Land Rover owners. (Panelist & Content Producer)

SeriesParts.com — A master list of parts, part suppliers (our gracious hosts included), and repair shops for Series Land Rovers.

If you are going to rebuild this thing you'll definitely want the glow plugs I linked too. They are a lot better than the original coiled element type.

read these links:

http://forum.landrovernet.com/showth...e-heater-plugs

http://forum.landrovernet.com/showth...-Plugs-GRRRRRR

Land Rover UK Forums

I despise forums where you have to be a member to view their secret information...
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

If you in fact have a petrol ignition switch, you can always just install a momentary push button switch to operate the glow plugs. I did this for the pre-heater for Perkins conversions.
    Tom Rowe

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 reg
    67 NADA x2
    74 Air Portable - The Antichrist (tag 6A666)
    95 D1 - R380
    95 D90 - R380
    97 D1 - ZF

Quote Originally Posted by SafeAirOne View Post
    I despise forums where you have to be a member to view their secret information...
    Thats too bad. Its a good forum though.

Land Rover UK Forums