Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: does any one have any good buying advise/stories

Default does any one have any good buying advise/stories

Hello,

Since I was young, driving down the road with my father in a 1966 Series IIa, I have wanted one for myself. I now think the time has come for me to try and enter my way into this astonishing community. I have found a Land Rover that I find to be reasonable. It is not the most fancy, but one that I think will be suitable for my fist Rover. I have no mentors (with the exception of those willing to reply) to guide me on this purchase. So, I was wondering if you guys may be able to shed some light on a few important questions to ask the seller to help determine if this car is, in fact, as good as I hope it will be. And, perhaps some questions from personal experience, that you guys wish you would have asked before purchase. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

First and foremost have someone else look at it. Preferably a mechanic with some understanding of Rovers. I bought two Rovers from a "reputable" builder. First one is a gem. Number two is a diamond in the rough. If I had someone look at number two I could have saved thousands of dollars in repairs and most likely would have been steered away from it(or atleast had some bargining room). Or atleast enlightened to what I might be in for. I should note I bought #2 sight unseen. Not the smartest thing I have done. Also don't get so wrapped up in one particular car/Rover. If someone beats you sale, there will be others. Enjoy the ride!!!

Read all you can on this site then check out these sites

http://www.lrfaq.org/Series/FAQ.S.look_for.html

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/

Best if you can get another Series owner to check it out with you
    04 Disco, Gone-Disco died & so did mine
    '72 S3 88 - Leakey & Squeaky

It also depends in what you want to do. Are you looking for a daily driver or looking to rebuild one?

Seems as if everyone defines "restored" differently. I have actually sold a few of my rovers in the past I never used that word, I would instead list and describe any and all improvements, work performed and parts replaced but I refused to be one of those that says "restored". This was due to the fact that everyone uses this term way to loosely. Do not believe every seller who makes this claim. Just so you know a user on this board by the name of Jac04 has a textbook definition of what a restored vehicle really is.

Remember, viewing a truck, talking about it, negotiating over a price yet still returning home with an empty trailer could save you thousands in the long run.
    1973 NADA 88

Talk to an informed Rover owner/enthusiast who ISN'T interested in getting a truck. People seem to make excuses for themselves when they're buying a vehicle. You tend to look over things when you really want a vehicle, so be mindful of what you're doing with your money.
    Zack Griswold
    Photos/Sales
    http://i.imgur.com/z2wLIw6.jpg - 1995 300Tdi Disco 5 Speed

Quote Originally Posted by primerib View Post
    I have no mentors ....
    Where are you located? We'll find you a mentor! I'll volunteer if you are local.

20+ years ago I caught the Land Rover bug and decided I just had to have one. I found one and fell in love with it. I was blinded by enthusiasm, and I was going to buy it. My father looked at it and quickly reeled me back into reality. The thing was a clam. So, I waited & kept looking until I found a nice all-original vehicle to restore for a very reasonable price.

So, my best advice is to take your time & get a second opinion. I understand how enthusiastic & eager you are to become a Land Rover owner. Don't let it get the best of you (and your wallet).

There are PLENTY out there. Take your time, research research research and don't be afraid to walk away from any you see. Don't get emotionally invested in any of the ones you look at. Save your $ and purchase the best example you can afford. Lastly find someone with one and beg, rent, whatever it takes but find a way to drive it. I've seen countless people in love with the IDEA of a Land Rover and they go out and buy one drive it a few times and then let it languish without being used much at all until they finally admit to themselves that it just isn't practical, or isn't for them then they sell it off at a loss.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Hey guys thanks for the help! The advice has been great so far and it is nice to hear it from the guys involved! I am located in Boston, Massachusetts and I was looking at 69 series IIa in Maine, a four hour drive from here. I don't know anyone around that has a Series Land Rover, which makes me a little nervous. But I would be happy to get lunch and discuss if any of you are near by. I have followed the links you guys have sent and they helped me ask a lot of intelligent questions when I spoke to the gentleman selling. He seemed nice (though I am sure most sellers do) and knowledgeable about Land Rovers. He says he has been involved with them for a while. But I am nervous about making some of the above listed mistakes...that is what I am trying my best to avoid! A few honest mentors would be fantastic on this first purchase!

If its the 67 in Lincoln good luck with that one. My buddy in Portland has been trying to get that guy to talk for 2 weeks now. He didn't put a price on it and won't tell anyone what he wants for it. Supposedly the thing has been in a garage since the 70's so be prepared to replace a bunch of seals and all the wheel cylinders and all that. Again if it is the one look at the picture and look under the front and you will see an oil leak being covered up by kitty litter. This guy doesn't want to talk. RULE 1 if they don't want to answer questions or are being vague walk away and find someone who will talk to you