Thread: Wading depth

Default Wading depth

I know in my Series wagon that I can wade mre or less as deep as I want as long as I don't swamp the engine intake. How deep can a Classic go, and is there any way that it can be modified? Like, does the ECM need to be relocated and such?

Default Wading depth

Bill,
    Officially it was 20" or to the top of your wheel rims if you have larger tires and lift(not the top of your tires). I can say I have had my various Rovers at up to close to 3 feet, but I was really sweating that one. The key to that was a steady 5-8 mph to create a perfect bow wave(with the peak ahead of you and the trough where your engine compartment is) and knowing from a drought the previous year that this particular stream bottom is like a two lane road of stone for about 2 KM. I keep a sheep drovers stick in my kit and it is marked at the height my rims(tops). On my Disco with lift I estimate this to be about 22 inches. I will wade out first and check any stream that I dont know about first, and even check my regulars as they may "wash out" in a storm. Make sure your door seals are good to keep water out, check bulkhead grommets, check carpet afterwards, and plan on changing your driveline fluids regularly-if they look like cappacino, it is contaminated.
    Cheers,
    Jack of Bavaria