Thread: New Motor Choices

Default New Motor Choices

I've found a manual tranny '95 Disco I for my Series hybrid project (I plan to put a Series IIa 88 body on the Disco I rolling chassis). The price of the Disco I is good for what it is, but it appears the motor is a goner as it probably needs a block to cure a water leak that replacing the head gasket didn't take care of. I may use the Disco for a while before I remove the body and start the hybrid build. Either way, I need a new motor. I'd like to improve the miserable gas mileage that apparently comes with the V-8 so am considering a diesel. Everything I've read indicates that the 200tdi is probably the way to go, simpler but just about as much power as a 300tdi. I've read, also, that the 200 is pretty much a bolt in on a Series chassis, especially if the turbo is re-plumbed so it won't foul the frame or the motor is de-turbo'ed. I understand the 300 is bigger and therefore not as easily fit. What are the forum's thoughts on this? Also, should I be considering any other diesels or gas motors, even non-LR?

300 is not any larger, it's the same engine, just refined a little more. 200tdi is nearly impossible to find parts for even in the UK but the 300 is very common... 300tdi is an easy swap into a series truck. Your bell housing bolts up with a few holes bored larger if I remember right. The 300tdi is a direct decendant of the 2.25 diesel, mounts are the same. If you are doing a 300tdi into a disco, bolts right in also but the R380 on the petrol has a different diameter mainshaft that will have to be changed. R380 from a diesel is a direct swap. I would go 300tdi, there is a reason it is so popular. 25mpg and the easiest swap... If my petrols ever go in my Discos they will get 300tdi's without hesistation... I did a Cummins 6bt conversion in a 109 and it was a ton of work making mounts, using different pieces and adapters-not easy... I have seen people use GM straight sixes (YUCK) and Isuzu Diesels- not bad... Just depends on how much time and money you want to put into it... There are plenty of write ups in the Rover Hybrid forums.
    2003 Disco SE7 expedition prepped
    1998 Disco LSE 7 50th anniversary Baluga Black
    1996 Disco XD Trek number 4 and Camel Selections
    1969 Series 2A 109

One other thing, you do realize the Discovery is a 100" wheelbase right? It will be a tight squeeze to cut it down to 88 vs stretching it to 109 as some have done. I'd also use the Discovery floorpan so that you can have better seats and a console.... This has been done before and works well. You will also have wider axles so think about how to attack that as well. Some just use wheel spacers to get an extra inch out to look good under Defender flares. The wheels will be about even with the sides without flares and spacers and will look odd.
    1969 Series 2A 109

Yes, I believe getting a 300 in there will be quite a bit easier than getting an 88" body on a Disco.
    Zack Griswold
    Photos/Sales
    http://i.imgur.com/z2wLIw6.jpg - 1995 300Tdi Disco 5 Speed

In continuing my research, I've stumbled across a fair amount of enthusiasm for putting 6.2L GM diesel v8's into RRC's and Disco's. The motors are relatively common and a lot cheaper than LR 200's or 300's, parts are cheap and widely available. The 6.2 is the "light duty" diesel that is normally aspirated and was Chevy's first attempt to compete with Ford's super duty. It didn't work out so well, but apparently in a RRC or Disco it's enough power and fits reasonably well. The installation is obviously a good deal more complicated than dropping in a 200 or 300 but there's something like $4,000-$5,000 difference to work with and it's been done fairly often - I haven't found many instances where the 6.2 was put into a Series, however - I'm assuming that's because the rest of the Series drive train isn't stout enough? Any thoughts?

Ugh! 6.2 is a dog of and engine and heavier than sin... If you are sold on this conversion please go with the newer 6.5. It is a much better engine...We had these in the CUCV pickups and Blazers in the Army and they sucked. They also had glow plug controller failures about annually too, trans issues ect. I would strongly suggest either the 300tdi or an Isuzu 4BT out of a NPR cab over box truck... They are much lighter, the straight 4 is much easier to fit and will offer better performance. There is a guy who did the Isuzu swap in a D2 with fantastic results, but he wound up using a GM trans and Jeep T case I think... I guess it's up to you if you want to frankenstein your truck with a hodge podge of parts and adapters. The Isuzu conversion I believe wound up being about 10k by the time it was finished...TDI is about the same depending on what you can do yourself, but it bolts right in with a mix of tdi parts. Anything else and you wind up modifying mounts, exhaust, drive shafts, and a multitude of other things to make it all work. Anything can be done with enough time and money thrown at it. Personally, I'd rather just bolt a 300tdi in and be done. You do not want a 200tdi, they are nearly impossible to find parts for anymore and why they are so cheap... There is a low mileage 1995 Discovery 300tdi in Canada for sale on ebay right now for 7k... I think it has 80k on it...
    1969 Series 2A 109