Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Source for 200tdi

Be very careful about buying from the UK, and Land Rover wreckers in particular. I got screwed by a UK wrecker, Defender 300TDI, R380 setup and rust free bulhead paid for, he closed up business almost before the check cleared! I would recommend buying from a reputable company or broker. I have heard from more than one company in the UK that most people over there list on EBay what they can't sell locally because it is trash.

I hate to say it but many sellers in the U.K. can smell an American wallet coming from a mile away. many prices seem inflated to an American purchaser unless it is a very honest and moral seller/mechanic. I know those in the U.K. looking for the same 200tdi installed are not paying $5000. Not even for a defender 200tdi installed with all the extras. It can be done a LOT cheaper than that.
    1973 NADA 88

It can e done a lot cheaper if your willing to use a high milage engine, old parts, and a piss poor conversion shop. Also the Tdi's are getting a lot harder to find. It's a supply and demand problem right now. You can do it for as little as $1,000 how ever like most things Rover related you get what you pay for.
    GMR Imports
    802-655-4874
    802-324-3370
    gmr4x4.com

Derek, the 6.2 diesel you just sold was not in a Landrover was it?

From what I've learned here and on other forums is that the 6.2 is a great swap in many respects. The mil-spec 6.2's (so-called J code) are plentiful (i.e., cheap), often <50k miles because they mostly come from having been removed from Hummers in favor of a 6.5 installation (that source will eventually dry up I guess but right now there are plenty being dumped by the military), parts are easy to obtain and they are not as good for many applications where greater power is desired because later 6.5's are a good deal better and are bolt-ins. From what I can tell, the biggest challenge in using a 6.2 for increased mpg's is bringing the vehicle's gearing into the 6.2's sweet spot (it develops max torque at about 1,900 rpm) at the desired road speed. In one example of either a Discovery I or a RRC that I know of, a guy went so far as to install a GM 6 speed tranny (the one the Corvette uses, I think) in order to get to the 1,900 rpm range at 75 mph - the result was +/- 30 mpg at that speed and the end of his cooling problems.

6.2's into Series LR's is problematic from a space standpoint - it's been done; I can't find the link presently, but I found a step-by-step documentary of the swap. He got it in there, but he had to cut up the bulkhead and invade the cab slightly as well as move the grill forward like a Defender which gave up too much of the Series look to my mind.

What the world needs is a V-6 or in-line 4 diesel that's short enough to fit a Series nicely and generates its power at around 2,200-2,400 rpm. Oh, and it needs to not vibrate too much, be plentiful enough in the US to cost $1,000 or less in good used condition, and have most parts off the shelf at NAPA! Anyone know of such a thing?

It was installed in a 87 D90
    GMR Imports
    802-655-4874
    802-324-3370
    gmr4x4.com

I have had very good experience buying 200 & 300 tdi parts on ebay.co.uk. You have to know what you are looking for and what a fair price is as well as it helps to forge a relationship with a few wreckers. On Ebay they cant tell who you are until you need to ship it and a lot of them dont want to deal with the larger parts such as a complete engine block.

I believe that you can get a good, 100,000 - 130,000 200tdi for less than $1000 and then you have to ship it. Look for someone already loading a container and get it included in his shipments as a separate bill of lading... maybe an other $750.

Also recognize that "technically" speaking a engine identified as a 200TDi is not legal for import under EPA regs so you will have to be creative to get it through customs. Parts on the other hand are not as difficult.

Good luck

The procedure you describe sounds like something that would work much better for someone who was going to buy 200tdi or 300tdi engines/parts on a fairly regular basis or at least more than once. Establishing all the relationships that you describe including the due diligence required to weed out the charlatans would take time and is bound to come with a few disappointments. If the situation is as you describe it, and I assume it is, say $2,500 average all up for a 200/300 onshore stateside, the apparent going price of more than $5,000 seems a bit steep. Seems like competition would bring the price down.

Galloway British Columbia Canada and Jefferson City Missouri

I bought a 200tdi with a 300 turbo and manifold so it will fit in my 68 109. I paid just over $2,800.00 for everything.. Hopefully tomorrow it gets to the mechanic so he can get it installed. He has had the motor for a few weeks I just haven't been able to get the Rover to him.
    1968 Series IIA
    1987 D90 Kid's project
    German wirehair Pointer (Wood Hound)

Quote Originally Posted by bfrieck View Post
    What the world needs is a V-6 or in-line 4 diesel that's short enough to fit a Series nicely and generates its power at around 2,200-2,400 rpm. Oh, and it needs to not vibrate too much, be plentiful enough in the US to cost $1,000 or less in good used condition, and have most parts off the shelf at NAPA! Anyone know of such a thing?

Oldsmobile 4.3l. It was a good engine, I had 2 of them. Eventually crushed them because they had outlasted the Oldsmobiles they were in. It used the 2.8l's bolt pattern so you could use one of those adapters from Simon in Canada. In my experience they V6 did not share the same faults of the infamous Olds 350 diesel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmob..._V6_engine#LT7

----------------------

Honestly though it would be far more worth it to engineer an Isuzu 4bd1t swap. They were used in tons of box trucks and are a piece of cake to rebuild(wet sleeves) they are far better engines than the Rover or GM Diesels are. http://isuzudieselswapper.com/
    Last edited by yorker; 04-11-2012 at 03:11 PM.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Contact urbanlandcruisers.com in Atlanta. They have engines for sale now and do conversions.

Nate B
    88 D90 RHD, V8 Present
    84 Defender 110 3 Door RHD Petrol in 2012
    80 Merc 230GE Petrol in 2011
    78 SIII 109" RHD Petrol in 2011
    82 SIII 88" RHD Petrol in 2010
    82 SIII 88" RHD Diesel in 2009
    92 Range Rover - In the 90's
    cuis2000@yahoo.com