Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 88 dies after warm up

Quote Originally Posted by sayers
    Yes I am running a new inline filter, How do you adjust the float ?
    You remove the top cover and hold upside down so the floatarm is resting on the needle valve and measure from what is now the top of the float to the cover (with the gasket still in place) this should read 1 5/16 inches.
    It is adjusted by carefully bending the arm that touches the needle valve.

John

thanks John and marc. I will let you know what happens. steve

I took the top of the zenith carb. off and checked the floats. They were both off, so I adjusted them to the proper level. I also found that the set screw on the idle was working its way out of adjustment when I drove the truck due to vibration. The screw is suppose to be held in place by a lock nut, but on this zenith the nut is very loose and would not hold the screw tightly when it was in the plastic protective cover. I used some loc-tight and I think my problems are solved. I just find it hard that when you get a brand new unit the workmanship is not up to grade. anyway, to all thanks for the great help.
    Last edited by sayers; 05-19-2007 at 06:41 PM. Reason: misspelling

I do have the problem of my Zenith stalling the engine when I stop fast but this goes away after it warms up. What I do have a problem with is it idles great and no problems when you give it gas in neutral but sometimes when under power it seems to sputter or hiccup. Any suggestions as to cure? No telling what day it will decide to do it. Sometimes fine sometimes not. The 2.25 does not run well when you give it much more than 10% of the throttle. Any help much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by PH4
    I do have the problem of my Zenith stalling the engine when I stop fast but this goes away after it warms up. What I do have a problem with is it idles great and no problems when you give it gas in neutral but sometimes when under power it seems to sputter or hiccup. Any suggestions as to cure? No telling what day it will decide to do it. Sometimes fine sometimes not. The 2.25 does not run well when you give it much more than 10% of the throttle. Any help much appreciated.
    Check the intake air flow. My jimmied air intake had a flaw in the design as one of the plumbing connections in the middle was too restrictive. I think it would cause a vacuum build up on hard acceleration that would cause the truck to actually bounce off the clutch springs while the engine was sputtering.

The effect was really anoiying... You are in first gear and trying to accelerate from a stop light but the truck would bounce off the clutch springs and accelerate ahead of the engine. Then the truck would slow down again when it bounced of the opposite side of the clutch (like engine breaking) till the motor caught up again. Back and forth, back and fourth until the motor was up to full speed.

I was perplexed until I tried running the truck without the air filter and found it would accelerate as it should. It's right up there with school busses and dump trucks now!

So check the air filter for flow. It could directly choking the truck or effecting the vacuum advance. Thats my guess.

If the carb seem s OK and problems still seem to be fuel related have a close look at the airfilter to carb hose. They have a tendancy to collapse internally when old. It may not show up externally.

John