Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Daily Driver 109

I meant to mention that I bought this truck from Ike at Pangolin and it made the drive from Seattle to Nebraska. It cost less than half the lower figure you mentioned and is rust free and dependable enough to drive across the country again with as much as checking the oil and checking air in the tires. So, you don't have to spend 30 grand to buy a decent daily driver.

Not sure why everyone wants to talk the poster into a different vehicle--He clearly is familiar with older vehicles, has a good idea what he is looking for in a 109, is willing and able to do non-overhaul maintenance on a solid, previously well-maintained 109 and has access to a backup vehicle. Sounds like a decent 109 is perfect for his wants and needs. His price range is just fine for finding a 109 that meets his criteria. I'm sure that if he wanted a Discovery, he would be looking for a Discovery.

There's nothing wrong with daily-driving a 109. I've done it for the last 8 years and that's just a drop in the bucket compared do tens of thousands of other people worldwide over the years.

If I had a choice of engine, it would be a diesel, plain and simple. First of all--MUCH simpler with MUCH less maintenance/headache involved over the life of the engine with a diesel and diesels have a MUCH greater range than the petrols. The tradeoff is in horsepower. The fact is, however, that you're most likely to find a 2 1/4 petrol engine in 90% of the 109s out there unless somebody converted to another powerplant. Still the 2 1/4 petrol is fine if the carb is set up right and you are supplying clean fuel to it and you don't mind doing regular tune-up type stuff.

200/300Tdi's are nice. 2.25 diesels are really underpowered for a 109 SW. 2.5NADs are just plain old underpowered for a 109SW, though that's what's been satisfactorilly dragging my 109 around for years.

As for where to get a 109 that meets the poster's specifications...They're around. Check the usual sources. You just need to be patient or if you have more money than time, you could buy a nice solid rover and have the extra goodies like the OME stuff added by one of the dozens of businesses that work on old Rovers around the country (or do it yourself, since adding new springs and shocks is pretty routine).

You'll be just fine using a well-maintained 109 as a daily driver!
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Hey Doc, Give Lanny Clarke in Vermont a call. He rebuilt an 88 for me and I'm so glad I sent it to him. I'ld still have a pile of parts in the yard if I didn't. Other than routine maintenance, I've just added little custom things as I wanted. He is usually booked up pretty well but you could get lucky. He can sometimes even find a "donor" vehicle. I'm not sure a 109 SW would come that cheap though.
    I would really reccomend that you drive a series vehicle before you jump in with both feet. They are different from even a Blazer.
    I can tell you one thing, my wife will NOT drive it. She won't even ride very far in it. Something about lack of airbags or something like that.
    Good Luck, Hans

Hey thanks to everyone for the thoughtful responses. I do like the "unrefined" nature of the 109, that it can look great but still be very utilitarian. Those of you offering advise that a 109 might not be a great "fit" for me are just giving your opinions - thanks. I'm not taking anything personal. I appreciate hearing from those of you who HAVE used their 109 as a daily driver. How dry can you get the inside? Thanks for your time and responses everyone.
    -M

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Mark View Post
    How dry can you get the inside? Thanks for your time and responses everyone.
    -M
    I drive a 109 pick-up, and drove an 88 SW as a DD for years, if you have good door seals, and have a head liner, you wont have any moisture issues at all, my 88 didn't have a head liner, and I only got moisture problems after installing door seals (go figure ) but either way, I'd highly recommend a 109 as a DD. Listen to the advice above about engine type, it'll stand you in good stead. And as for who to buy from, check with Ike at Pangolin, or the Rover Ranch in N.M. both have very good reputations.

Not sure why everyone wants to talk the poster into a different vehicle--He clearly is familiar with older vehicles, has a good idea what he is looking for in a 109, is willing and able to do non-overhaul maintenance on a solid, previously well-maintained 109 and has access to a backup vehicle.
    I don't see how you read that from any posts in this thread. Nobody said that.

Also, when I mentioned that nobody (mechanics, that is) wants to work on Rovers, I meant ANY Rover, not just Series ones. Now obviously they (Rovers) must get maintained by somebody or else there wouldn't be so many out there still. There's the stealership, of course. Dunno. If I had to have some work done I have no clue where I'd go and I live in a very populous area with tons of Land Rovers around. Every place I've tried that's nearby sends me away. I'd have to go to Arlington (whoops, not any more since Carlos left there) or effing Chantilly. That's why I do all my own work (if you're following along at home I just replaced the transmission in the LWB) and don't depend on outsiders for help.

Quote Originally Posted by giftshopduane View Post
    Are you sure you want a Series to drive? Those are 2 big reasons to own one... it might be a little too "unrefined" for what your looking for. What about a D90 or 110? You can, by all means drive a Series every day, I plan on doing so with my 88, but there are some trade offs, I also own a Range Rover and a Discovery for a reason. Do some more research and soul searching, it is doable. Good luck.
    This post clearly suggests the OP consider something else for a DD......

Quote Originally Posted by I Leak Oil View Post
    This post clearly suggests the OP consider something else for a DD......
    I understand you guys are trying to keep the thread on topic but I also do want people to be realistic with me. If I am only seeing roses and rainbows, please let me know I'm crazy. I did ask in the OP if I was being too "wishful" in my search for a 109 daily driver. I do appreciate the comments from everyone.

OK....here's my two cents.....

Daily driver---FWIW, mine is a daily driver, unless broken down (which, other than my latest issue, has been once in 7K miles....and that was a tranny problem that, knowing NOTHING about trannies, I fixed in 6 hours in the middle of the snow outside!). I commute 30 miles round trip, and it is fine. I would recommend overdrive strongly, especially if commuting on the freeway (which I wouldn't particulary want to do even with it).

Maintenance---I'm no stranger to Brit cars. I've logged 100K miles in my MGBGT; 25K miles in my MGB; 10K miles in my Imp; and 7K miles in my Rover......I have NEVER been left stranded, but for a generator in the MGB....and by luck it went out on a roadtrip near Moss Motors, so I swapped it out in the parking lot! Anyway, maintain them, and they will take care of you. Let them go, and they will not. I am no mechanic--I know nothing of internal engine or tranny--but I've been able to do enough to keep them trustworthy! Rovers.....I am fortunate that there is a shop near me willing to work on it---and they know the vehicles well to fill the void when I can't do it.

Comfort/Performance---Uh....not. Mine leaks a little (and mechanically!). It's loud. It smells a bit of 90wt. But, I've added a few comforts to make it more than acceptable (radio....ooh.... and heated windscreen for the Colorado winters). My only "issue" is the sloooness. As Mark mentions, his diesel is somewhat underpowered. So is my petrol 2.25. The slow lane will have your name engraved on it! I deal with 9000 ft altitude also and some good hills, but just pull over and give it all you've got!!! Plan ahead and get some momentum going and hope the light doesn't change to red in the middle of that plan!!!!!! Some times I use my hazards! Most people smile---cause the style factor is cool. Some---stuck behind you in traffic---might want to pull out their 12-gauge.....just duck!

Good luck with it!
    Julian
    Julian
    72 Series III NAS
    03 Disco
    04 Freelander (sold, but still running strong)
    2011 LR2 (Fuji White/Tan....per the wife )
    65 MGB / 73 MGBGT
    71 RHD Hillman Super Imp

Hey Daktari - one thing that may be neglected in the posts so far...AVAILABILITY (therefore cost)....your choice is for a LHD 109" - can't remember if it was 5 door (but that would be mine). These are like hens teeth when available, and cost is a huge factor. One thing you may want to consider is a RHD one - that would open up the availability, and therefore cost equation a little more in your favor.

I applaud anyone who wants to jump in and save these wonderful pieces of history - or just doing it to look cool, and get looks...either way - GOOD LUCK - this is a great forum for advice and opinions.
    1963 Series IIa 109" 5 door Safari top (SOLD to new home)
    1971 Series IIa 88" Soft top (SOLD to new home)
    1995 RRC - LWB
    2001 Discovery II SE7 (SOLD to new home)