Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shift linkage question

Quote Originally Posted by BackInA88
    You don't understand I think she likes the truck more than me.
    Everyone keep an eye out for "Ms. BackInA88" on the forum! Sounds like a domestic dispute brewing, and we all know the statistics. We may have to alert the authorities.

Just looking out for our own... uh.. legal owners on the forum.

well said , wonderful

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Smith
    Hi from another past 2002 owner. 76' vintage as I remember, but it was a round tail light. You tell me...

Any way, if you could drive a 2002, then a series rover shifter should feel like Ferrari precision engineering at your hand. No muddy shifting.

There is a lot more throw in the shifting shaft of a rover but don't forget that these are basically farm tractors with the added plus of jumping on the highway every once in a while. Moving you arm a half foot to get it into the next gear isn't really a problem.

If however you do have worn shifters, then you might find yourself in my situation at some point.
    1. Point for first gear, and you find the shifter went to some weird place that you are unaware of.
    2. Try to accelerate and realize you are either in third, reverse, neutral or some combination of them. But stuck good!
    3. When the horns start, don't freak out. Didn't you hear me? Stop freaking out!!! PUT THAT MIDDLE FINGER DOWN! You are a series driver now and you have more character than that! As they are paying 500+ a month for a car they will never own, you are free to break down right in front of them and ruin their owner experience.
    4. Now take out your handy flat head screwdriver which you had on-board (yup nautical terms now baby).
    5. Unscrew the low range lever bracket on the tunnel (yes you are sitting inside the cab) without removing the knob, or anything else of importance.
    6. Then crawl in on the passenger side (of a left hand drive) and align the shifting levers into neutral with your shiftier in the middle. A flashlight might be needed for this.
    7. Lastly drive off knowing that you just saved your self a few hundred in towing costs, warranty repairs and leasing for the month.
    8. Oh yeah, place the screwdriver where you found. Under the last place you will look...
    Cheers,
    Tim

it could also have that locater clip missing allowing the shift lever go any way it wants.
    there a small clip that holds the lever in the proper location.
    www.singingcamel.com