Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: 14 year old seeking advice!

Quote Originally Posted by GeniusAndHisAssistant View Post
    next project is to get the fuel pump going, then we'll look into the clutch and see what condition the transmission is in...

we will be sending out an order to RN for new brake lines and some fuel lines in the next week or so...
    First off, congratulations on getting it running!
    Fuel pumps are not expensive so if your's is having issues it might be best to replace it now.
    As far as brake lines, not to knock our hosts, but it would be cheaper to get the fittings from our host, and find brake line at a local auto parts store and bend it and flare it yourself. If you don't have a flaring tool or a bender you can rent them for free at auto-zone, its a valuable skill to have which will be applicable to any car you'll have in the future.

-Rob
    ------------------------------------------------
    72 SIII 88
    67 SIIA 109
    82 SIII Stage 1 V8
    -- http://www.youtube.com/barnfind88 --

Can't wait for my truck to be ready to fire up.

Hi ya'll

Things are going grand here... front panels are off and the drive assembly (front hubs) are coming apart nicely - but the chrome on the swivel balls is worn away over about half of the surface. Are the balls something Ebben can smooth out/clean up and have it work ok? or do you think it will leak oil like a faucet. The swivels are very expensive and we really would like to make these work. Please comment on the ball situation and any advice you have to getting the big seal retainer ring off for the ball seals - they look very distorted/rusty and we hope not to wreck the housings that they mount to. The mounts cost more than we have in the money tin!

A big box came from Rovers North today - Ebben has his work cut out this summer! Ha! fuel pump, brake stuff, yup... lotsa fix'ns to make her safe for rip'n through Vermonts vast virgin forests.

"The Assistant" a.k.a. Dad

the photo is Ebben and his 'real' boss! Ha!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Swivels will probably need to be replaced, unless you can get second hand ones that are still good. Hunt around for someone who is wrecking. Check out the parts required from the parts manual and see how much you actually need to replace. You should do the bearings, etc. at the same time, and the bushes too. Front end is something you can't really scrimp on.

Hopefully, there won't be too many other big expenses as you work around.
    Alan

109 Stage 1 V8 ex-army FFR
    2005 Disco 2 HSE

http://www.youtube.com/user/alalit

If the swivels are pitted, the seals will get chewed up and they will leak oil. If you are on a tight budget, I'd say keep you eyes out for a decent second hand pair, but in the mean time fill your swivels with one-shot grease. It was designed to stop crappy swivels from leaking. It'll stay in place so you can move on to other areas of the rig.

But keep your eyes out for new used swivels.. because any holes that would let oil out will let dirt and water in!! Not good in the long term.

congrats on the progress!!

~Steve

I'm glad to hear it's moving along cough we need more pictures cough.

People have had success filling the holes in the swivel balls with JB Weld, including myself although with minor pitting and not a long enough period to declare total success. You clean them really thoroughly, slather on some JB Weld, and sand smooth once set, perhaps a coat of epoxy paint on top. But If I were you I'd do this and go with one-shot grease just in case.

Any updates guys?
    Alan

109 Stage 1 V8 ex-army FFR
    2005 Disco 2 HSE

http://www.youtube.com/user/alalit

I just wanted to check in since I haven't said anything in a while. unfortunately, we didn't accomplish much over the summer. dad was busy with his boat shed (which we'll put the rover under!) and i was mowing lawns and working at a camp. hopefully we will have more time to work on it soon. we received clutch parts which are next on the list to go in!

onward!
    ebben

today was an exciting day. we pulled both clutch cylinders (which need to be replaced) and are beginning to think about patching the swivels. though we have a question! there is a ring on the back of the hub assembly that acts as a seal around the swivel. this DESPERATELY needs to be replaced. to pull these rings do we have to remove the whole hub assembly... if so... how on earth would we do that? it seems like there is no quick way to do it.

thanks in advance and sorry for the long hiatus!

ebben

Good to hear

There is no quick way, but the good news is that you do want to tear down the swivel balls and give it a good thorough cleaning and check the bearings. It likely just need a cleaning and fresh oil but you want to do that. It will give you a chance to access and fix the brakes as well.

charles