Thread: Headliner Replacement

Default Headliner Replacement

I have a 04 Disco in need of a new headliner. Would like to do myself. Anyone with experience as to how easy this project is? Thoughts and or suggestions?

Matt

Sorry, no thoughts, but would like to replace mine as well. So, will keep an eye on this thread!
    Julian
    Julian
    72 Series III NAS
    03 Disco
    04 Freelander (sold, but still running strong)
    2011 LR2 (Fuji White/Tan....per the wife )
    65 MGB / 73 MGBGT
    71 RHD Hillman Super Imp

I pulled mine down and removed all the fabric and foam.
    Wire brushed and than used a wet scotchbite pad to remove as much of the glue as possible. Than rinsed it down and let dry in the sun.
    Went to the local hardware and bought some Krylon plastic paint that matched as close as possible.
    Sprayed the whole head liner with 2 cans, which just covered it.

Looks like a swede leather to me and I am happy and it will never need to be redone.

Steve
    71 IIa 88
    01 D2

Quote Originally Posted by msmith1 View Post
    I have a 04 Disco in need of a new headliner. Would like to do myself. Anyone with experience as to how easy this project is? Thoughts and or suggestions?

Matt
    Not real difficult, just time consuming. You need to remove all the A,B,C, and D pillar trim, along with all the stuff screwed into the roof. It's easy to come out if you're not worried about saving the old one, putting the new one is easier with 2 people. I used to have to do this a lot because every time the sunroofs have to be replaced (quite often) the headliner has to come down. After a while I figured out a trick where I could remove the sunroof by just dropping the headliner a couple of inches and work through the gap. Take your time and don't force anything and you'll be fine.
    Gale Breitkreutz
    '03 Disco
    '74 Series III 88 (sold, 4/13)
    '47 CJ2A

They make foam lined headliner material that is a very close match. I've done it on a few RRCs... Have yet to have a failure on any of my Discoveries...I've never had to replace a sunroof either-ever...Keep your drains clean and you should never have a problem with water leaks destroying your headliner
    2003 Disco SE7 expedition prepped
    1998 Disco LSE 7 50th anniversary Baluga Black
    1996 Disco XD Trek number 4 and Camel Selections
    1969 Series 2A 109