Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intermittent fuel issue - IIA/2.25 petrol/weber 34ICH/mechanical fuel pump

Default Intermittent fuel issue - IIA/2.25 petrol/weber 34ICH/mechanical fuel pump

To avoid hijacking a related thread on warm start issues, I will start one for an intermittent fuel issue I have been having.

The truck always idles great, starts right up (unless warm start after a short stop, see http://forums.roversnorth.com/showth...4690#post84690).

However, in a seeming random fashion it will go from running great to having no power without the choke all the way out. By no power I mean even in neutral if you blip the throttle it will stutter like it's not getting fuel. I have noticed that it can start happening by simply hitting a bump (my springs are rusted/stiff and the rear will bounce easily). It can last a long time in either state, or switch back and forth relatively quickly like in alternating trips).

It will seemingly randomly self correct as well. Just recently I was idling or at near idle for a few minutes while my daughter was practicing parking, and although it had been in the "choke on" mode up until that point, I tried without it and it was fine. Not sure when exactly it self corrected but it did.

Because it is intermittent I am hesitant to blame the carb, although I have a rebuild kit and if it comes to it I'll rebuild it. It has a generic Purolator filter right before the carb and I recently replaced it but the problems still occurred after. It's the clear kind and usually it sits about half full. The old one looked well used but no obvious signs of dirt in it.

The truck is running fine at the moment, but while doing other maintenance I did notice a bunch of crap in the fuel pump sediment bowl which I have since removed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1074.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	6322Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1075.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	6321Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1076.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	6320Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1077.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	6319

If you have any idea what the yellow looking material is, please let me know.

Other than inspecting the tank for issues, does anyone have any suggestions?

TIA,
    charles

That really looks like you might be losing the lining in your tank(if it has been lined with something like Kreem). Or someone filled the tank with a jerry can that was losing its lining some of them had a cream colored lining.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Thanks, I'll check out the tank sometime. Any advice on the best way to do this? It looks like the only decent sized hole is the filler neck, so I'll need to drop it to get a good look. The fuel level gauge hole might be big enough to get a peek in I guess.

you can peek in the pickup tube hole or the gauge float hole too. They would be easier.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

The pickup hole looked tiny and I didn't want to disturb the gauge since it all works so well right now I'll do the gauge hole I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by yorker View Post
    That really looks like you might be losing the lining in your tank(if it has been lined with something like Kreem). Or someone filled the tank with a jerry can that was losing its lining some of them had a cream colored lining.
    +1

Good luck getting it cleaned out, if it's the case I'm not sure how its done. New tank cheap from RN. It certainly would explain a lot.

Take the whole pick-up tube out and see of there is a screen on the tip. It might need cleaning, as well as flushing out the tank. Is there a drain at the bottom of your tank? If so, I would drain and flush it out. I've never seen that much crap come out of a tank before.

As others have said, peek in through the pick up tube hole with a flashlight. drain the tank, and see what you have left. Some people have had good luck with droping the tank, and placing a chain inside. then just shake the tank until you are exhausted. Clean and refit.
    Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

Thanks guys

Yes I'm definitely going to have to do this but it might be a couple of weeks before I get a chance as I have to finish up work on my defender first and want to have one running while I work on the other.

But my problem came back yesterday. Not 100% sure if it was the reason, but it was at highway speed on a bumpy section of road, so it certainly sounds like it's crap in the fuel.

I'll let you know once I get back to it.

HAve you opened the top of the carburator to clean the bowl inside? Weber 34ich has his main jet at the bottom and can get dirty pretty easy.