I'm acquiring stuff in anticipation of a Series/Disco I hybrid build. I have the Series IIA (bad motor, bad chassis, everything else okay) and I've recently acquired a complete '95 Disco I rolling chassis (no motor, but everything else - auto tranny). Now, I'm after a diesel. My ultimate goal is a "gentleman's" Series - 100 mph top speed to insure comfortable 75 mph cruise, power steering, a/c and good mileage (25-30 mpg at cruise - ergo the diesel). Offroading will be relatively mild compared to what some of you folks do. I'll be running around a West Texas ranch where a stock full-size 4x4 Chevy pickup can go most anywhere.

I welcome any suggestions/comments regarding what diesel to use. I don't want to use an LR 200/300 tdi because of their cost and comparative stateside rarity and because I believe there are suitable alternatives for less money. I initially thought I was going to go for an Isuzu 4bd1t or 4bd2t, preferably the former, and I may still do so but I wanted to see what others thought. Size matters(!) because one of my goals is to retain the classic Series look - I don't want to pooch the grill forward of its stock location relative to the front wings. Some Mercedes diesels have been touted as good and cheap, what about that?

I am thinking of staying with the auto tranny and transfer case that came with the Disco because (1) I understand it's strong enough, (2) I'll only have to come up with an adapter from whatever motor I wind up with to the transmission; downstream from there it will be all Disco, and (3) because of the cable shifter mechanism it will be relatively easy to put the shifter in a suitable location in the Series IIA cab.

What say you experts? What diesels are good candidates for this hybrid and why?