Thread: SRS - Air Bag fault indicator light

Question SRS - Air Bag fault indicator light

Is there a way to reset the fault code that's making the SRS fault light flash without going to a dealer?
    The fuse was removed from the SRS circuit while the engine was on.

Is there a way to de-activate the SRS and not have the fault light on?

The SRS light is most likely on because it is time for you to replace the airbags. The fault is designed to occur every ten years. You could either have your airbags replaced or have someone pull the light from the dash. You could also just wait for the bulb to burn out!

Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    The SRS light is most likely on because it is time for you to replace the airbags. The fault is designed to occur every ten years. You could either have your airbags replaced or have someone pull the light from the dash. You could also just wait for the bulb to burn out!
    the bulb is a diode, it would take years for it to burn out and it is soldered to the cluster. the system detected the lack of power while the engine was running thus it set a code telling it lost power, as the code is read more than likely it will say "high resistance detected or no power during start up"
    auto logic, testbook, t4, hawkeye and if is is newer than 96 snap on with euro software shall be able to clear it... as per replacement of airbag every ten yrs that is a misinformation, the safety check includes check all sensors and wiring for fraying or damage, check the vinil material covering the bag for cracks, cuts or breaks, replace if any of those present, check primary restrain system replace components as nescesary, check for codes, take corrective action... affix proper notice if applicable...
    any competent shop with the proper diag equip and experience shall be able to examine srs sistem and clear codes.
    the light is on to warn you of a failure which set a code and needs attention just like your check engine ligth, not like the emissions reminder which very much prompts you to replace the o2s when it comes on.
    faults can occur any time and turn on the light, not every 10 yrs as suggested, there is no predetermined time of failure/code set.

Problem solved. In my determination not to go to a Dealer (the one I called told me it could be an all-day job) I spent the equivilent amount of dollars buying a computer interface part and software from this company: http://www.blackbox-solutions.com/

The connector on my Discovery had a converter attached that converted the end from male to female. Once I got over staring at that strange set-up, and removed the converter, and attached the cable supplied to me, started the software on my lap top and within 30 seconds the problem was solved.

I will say that the initial set up of the software involved a large number of steps, and warnings not to mess up.

There are no L.R. Dealers within 500 miles of me, so if anyone driving a Discovery 1 in Northern British Columbia needs their SRS light reset, I can do it.