Thread: fuel pump quit...no power at fuse

Default fuel pump quit...no power at fuse

Hello everyone,
    I got up a few weeks ago to go to the Uwarrie Safari, I fired up my 94 D90 NAS and moved it to the waterhose to knock the pollen off. Had it all loaded with camping gear and and stuff, and when I got back in it to fire it up and head on to the adventure, I didn't hear the fuel pump and it wouldn't start. So I didnt get to wheel.....at Uwarrie...BUMMER... and it was my first trip to do something fun in the 2 1/2 years I've had it.

I checked the fuses, and the inertia switch...they were good so I assumed it was the fuel pump,

got a new pump and installed it..still didn't work. (now I got a used spare)

I checked the power at the fuse and there was none.

So I'm hoping ya'll can help me out, I need to get this thing running before next weekend so I can take my nephew to an Airsoft game... BLAST 'EM ALL !!!

Thanks

The Defender fuse panel is well known for having later-life issues. You can unscrew it from the bulkhead, rotate it to get access to the rear, and see if there's corrosion/ broken wires.
    You did check you maxi-fuses under the bonnet, right?

Terrys,
    Yes, I checked the fuse under the bonnet, I will pull the fuse panel later this morning and check behind it for problems. Then I will trace the wires. I also found out that I checked the fuse wrong, so I'll have to check that again. but no fuses are burnt.
    Thanks,

Starting with the maxi fuse B, power comes out, on a brown wire to a 5 pin plug in the efi harness and goes to the fuel pump relay(EF8). That relay is energized from pin 19 of the ECU. To see if the ECU is powering the relay, pull the relay and put your meter on pins 85 and 86 in the relay socket. If that's good, put the relay back in and check for voltage at pin 87 (keep in mind it will only be there for 3-4 seconds when the key is turned on, and then again when cranking. If there is power there, see that it's also present on both sides of fuse 20, which then goes to the inertia switch, and from there, on to the pump. If all your fuses (Maxi B, and #20) check good, then hopefully it will be the relay. GL

Thanks terrys, I'll check that out., There is no power at the fuse, I hope it is just a relay. I'm having a hard time finding a wiring diagram or trouble shooting flow chart. I just got the cd version of the manual and can't find anything like that on it. I'll follow your lead there and get back to you what I find, may take a day or two....
    Thanks for the help...FP

How do you tell which pins are which?
    I got up under there where the relays are. I pulled the relays out and changed them up and tapped them together but it still wouldn't come on. can you give me some insight on telling which pins are which?
    Do you know anything about the information on alldatadiy.com? I wonder if it's just an online copy of the manual? what I think I really need is a complete wiring diagram so I can trace backwards in the proper order. I really don't want to have to drag my d90 to the landrover shop. I always have difficulty with electrical problems...and that's what I've always got!!! hahaha I wonder how much one of those LR diagnostic computers are?
    I do know there is no power at fuse 20.
    thanks for the help...FP

Name:  Scan0002.jpg
Views: 10665
Size:  81.6 KB
    If you look on the underside of the relay, you'll see the pin numbers.