Thread: 96 R380 no spark

Default 96 R380 no spark

Truck ran great. Check engine light was on so I cleared the codes P1193 fuel air mixure x2. Figured it was due to new cats and O2s being fitted before I bought it. Check engine light out and ran good for that weekend. Went to start it to get it emissions tested this last weekend and no spark... I thought CPS, but in looking at it, the check engine light never comes on with the ignition on. Isn't it supposed to? I do not remember if it did before or not. Would a bad CPS prevent the check engine light from coming on with the ignition or on these early trucks does it even come on with the ignition? Also, starter relay seems slow to charge. I turn the key to start and there is a momentary pause before the starter starts cranking the engine over, it does crank fast and healthy so it's not a low battery.
    2003 Disco SE7 expedition prepped
    1998 Disco LSE 7 50th anniversary Baluga Black
    1996 Disco XD Trek number 4 and Camel Selections
    1969 Series 2A 109

Got the right CPS and it fired right up. Tried it a few times and it started up again fine. Went to emissions and it would not restart in the bay during testing-no check engine light with ignition on again. I took off the right kick panel and checked all the relays because it seemed one was lazy to click over when the ignition was turned on. I tapped on them all, removed, looked and even swapped a few back and forth. Nearly all are the same relay but none are labelled. Nothing....Then it finally came on by itself and fired right up and check engine light stayed on so I didn't bother to run it through again as it would fail with the light on. Drove it home and it is still fine... I guess I'll read the code and see what it says tomorrow... I tried pulling the relays out one by one to see what one controlled the check engine light, but none made the light go out with ignition on so this is pretty confusing... All I need is a freaking wiring diagram and none exist in the RAVE or the Bentley shop manual. Due to the clicking in that area when the key was initially turned on and the laziness of the check engine light to come on at first makes me believe it is a relay problem and never was the CPS... Anyone have a clue or a wiring diagram I can trace the circuit with??? It's a 1996 R380...
    2003 Disco SE7 expedition prepped
    1998 Disco LSE 7 50th anniversary Baluga Black
    1996 Disco XD Trek number 4 and Camel Selections
    1969 Series 2A 109