Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spare tire mount

Default Spare tire mount

Just curious, has anyone seen a spare bracket like this one on our 1968 Marshall ambulance?
    Last edited by JimCT; 06-18-2007 at 07:21 PM.

Do you actually need it? My hood tire mount has been without that the whole time it's been in the family and holds the spare just fine.

By the way, good job on keeping those threads lubed up!

It looks like the standard station wagon rear door spare tire mount - just put on the dished hood. I have seen them used on the hood like this before. It is missing the "U" part though.

x2 on the door mount.

When I got my truck the PO had used the rear door mount on the hood and it looked just like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Smith
    Do you actually need it? My hood tire mount has been without that the whole time it's been in the family and holds the spare just fine.
    Just reread my post and realized that it wasn't clear. I was asking if the ring was needed. My military uses the same 3 bolt tire holder on it's hood but has been without the ring for as long as I know of.

Cheers,

Default rear door mount

The rear door mount has a much smaller base plate.

Base plate is definitely biggger...doubt you really need the bolt-down plate but it will make it a firmer fit. Nuts alone would hold it.

It may be a better hold down, but it looks awful compared to the civilian type.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Default Military parts

That is a LR military, bonnet-mounted spare holder. All the Marshall ambulances had them. Very robust mount, and a 7.50x16 tire is positioned up/off the bonnet - hence the large base plate to distribute the load to the bonnet frame. It is complete as pictured , and does not use the "U" found on the rear door tire mount.

It doesn't really matter much what it *looks* like, as it holds the spare tire (which is what you'll actually see). That said, with the spare tire removed, it definitely doesn't look "civilian"...

Regards,

Tom P.
    Tom P.
    1965 exMoD 109
    1995 RRC LWB w/EAS

Default Tyre Mount

Ditto what Luckyjoe said. Also, that is genuine ex-MoD crud in the tire dish. I consulted my military Land Rover manual, and I quote:

SECTION XIIII

HOLDER, CRUD, FIELD AMBULANCE.

In accordance with article 14 of Her Majesty's Field Ambulance Corps specification guide, all said vehicles shall maintain a repository of crud no less than 1/8 imperial inches deep. Said crud shall consist of peat moss, bogwater slurry, or an acceptable substitute of western European muck (Rhineland paddock goop, Polish swamp ooze, Czech forest dung, etc.) Really anything you squaddies can scrape up in the event of war with the Ruskies.

Please refer to section XXII of this manual for the following applications:

1. As aWound poultice;
    2. As a skin camouflage application;
    3. For oil leak plugging;
    4. For smearing on windscreen to shield occupants from low-yield atomic weaponry;
    5. As a flavoring for afternoon tea.

THIS SECTION TO SUPERCEDE SECTION XI OF MANUAL, FIELD AMBULANCE, 1955. REMAINING LOWER THIRD OF THIS PAGE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK TO CONFUSE EAST GERMAN SABOTEURS.
    Last edited by Momo; 05-18-2007 at 01:18 AM.