Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ripped the Band Aid off! Build Thread and Advice Sought.

The comments here have me leaning more towards Galvy now if i can have it done somewhat locally. I really want to get it back on the road asap and do not look forward to stripping everything off and putting it back but maybe it is the way to go. A photo of it prior to removal of
    Attachment 6481

Quote Originally Posted by PH4 View Post
    The comments here have me leaning more towards Galvy now if i can have it done somewhat locally. I really want to get it back on the road asap and do not look forward to stripping everything off and putting it back but maybe it is the way to go. A photo of it prior to removal of
    If I lived where you do nd it looked as good as that I wouldn't bother doing the galvanizing. Paint it with something good like SEM Rustshield, or Corroless then spray homemade rust treatment once a year in August. Once you pull it all apart to galvanize it your downtime will go UP at an exponential rate, one thing leads to another and next thing you know you are 2 years into a frame up rebuild.

"Well since I have the engine out I might as well do the clutch, and since I am doing that I might as well rebuild the head, and the transmission, gee i really should get a new gas tank, and springs, and that radiator loos kind of ratty..."
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Quote Originally Posted by yorker View Post
    "Well since I have the engine out I might as well do the clutch, and since I am doing that I might as well rebuild the head, and the transmission, gee i really should get a new gas tank, and springs, and that radiator loos kind of ratty..."
    He he he....ask Stonefox how that went for him! We all remember the clutch replacement incident.

You probably won't want to hear this, but if you are going to galvanize the chassis, you will be further ahead of the game by buying a new galvanized chassis instead, all things considered.

While painting is a viable option, ultimately the chassis will rust and need to be replaced. Like the old commercial said, you can pay now or pay later. Later, however, you may no longer be the owner...so there you go.

The one great thing is I have a brand new 109 tub NOS still in the original wooden packing crate painted bronze green with all the fitments. Hence the reason I am breaking it down to restore. All still in wrap.

Quote Originally Posted by PH4 View Post
    The one great thing is I have a brand new 109 tub NOS still in the original wooden packing crate painted bronze green with all the fitments. Hence the reason I am breaking it down to restore. All still in wrap.
    Hmm. Your existing tub is looking pretty nice in that pic.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Quote Originally Posted by I Leak Oil View Post
    He he he....ask Stonefox how that went for him! We all remember the clutch replacement incident.
    What.....? All I did was read the manual.It said in order to replace the clutch you need to take every nut and bolt off the truck, replace them and spend wayyy more money than you actually tell your wife you did. I was just following the manual!!!!
    Sean
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

1963 88'' IIa daily driver
    1970 88"
    1971 88"
    authenticstoneworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by SafeAirOne View Post
    Hmm. Your existing tub is looking pretty nice in that pic.
    It is in good condition. The reason I am replacing is that the 109 was originally a hardtop and the PO cut the bulkhead behind the front seats to add a third fuel tank. I sold the full length hard top and purchased a pick-up top. The bed is fine for full length hard top or canvas top or no top at all. It is for sale I just have not listed yet. I may have an original tail gate to go with it.

if youre gonna be launching boats then galvanizing would not be a waste of time or money.

Id sell the NOS tub to pay for the galvanizing.

Quote Originally Posted by Revtor View Post
    if youre gonna be launching boats then galvanizing would not be a waste of time or money.

Id sell the NOS tub to pay for the galvanizing.
    That was one of only a few times I launched a boat with it. I always pressure wash and spray with waxoxyl after I go on muddy roads or launch a boat.