Thread: Canvas Tops

Default Canvas Tops

I think I'm going to have to break down and buy a new canvas top. Is there a big enough difference betweena Pro-Line top and a genuine top to justify the additional expense?
    Thanks,
    Jim

I havent had the privedlege of trying the 2 out but if you havent looked at some of the ones that Exmore offers heres the link:

http://www.exmoortrim.co.uk/erol.html#1X0

Shipping to the US isnt bad either.
    First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
    77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
    Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
    04 DII
    08 D3 (LR3)

i got mine from rn about a year ago. i think i paid ~$400, it fits well, looks good beats the heavy clear vinyl and duct tap one i had
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by scott
    i got mine from rn about a year ago. i think i paid ~$400, it fits well, looks good beats the heavy clear vinyl and duct tap one i had
    You just used the wrong type of duct tape...

Default Differences in Tops

I've had one of each top, one from Land Rover and one of the Proline tops from Rovers North.

My Land Rover top was purchased used and it fit quite well over many years of use. I replaced it only when the Land Rover top started to "wick" in heavy rains. I used the Canvas-X product on it and it sealed it up nicely. Still, the windows had clouded up enough for me to seek out a replacement.

I saw the Land Rover tops for sale in England. They were quite well made, had thick windows [or not] and seemed to be well stitched. By the time they arrived in the US, they were rather pricey for me.

I've put a Proline top on each of my two Series II-A's and I have been pleased with them. Again, the windows and stitching were quite good and the canvas felt quite hefty. The fit is generous around the sides and rear tailgate. You need to be careful about tightening up the canvas when it gets wet, and then dries. The canvas will shrink if you let it dry without some stretching over the hoop set and sides.

On the plus side, my Rover is more watertight with the canvas top than it is with the station wagon top!

Jeff
    Jeff Aronson
    Vinalhaven, ME 04863
    '66 Series II-A SW 88"
    '66 Series II-A HT 88"
    '80 Triumph TR-7 Spider
    '80 Triumph Spitfire
    '66 Corvair Monza Coupe
    http://www.landroverwriter.com

Thanks to all that replied. Looks like a new Proline top for me when I go to RN next Friday.

Default RN trip

Hey Jim. You wouldn't want to pick up a new galvy frame and some shocks for me while you are there would you?

Pete

My station wagon tops don't let a drop of water in.

Just last week had the 88" out on a bright sunny day, and then bam! Torrential downpour. I wouldn't have gotten wet at all had I not had the dual AC vents open.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.