Thread: What are preparations for storage?

Default What are preparations for storage?

Hi, I am going from Hawaii to the mainland for 6-7 months. I am parking my rover for that time. What are some things that I MUST do to keep it good when I come back? I bought a car cover today. Do I need to drain anything or can I just park it and go? Thanks alot, I want it to be in good shape when I return. Since it is in Hawaii it's going to be between 70 and 90 degrees the whole time, somewhat humid, and a little bit of rain now and again.

It sounds like you are planning on storing it outdoors. If at all possible, try to store it indoors. 6-7 months really isn't too long, but it never hurts to do too much storage preparation. My suggestions are:
    1) Top off the gas tank and add Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer.
    2) Change the oil.
    3) Check & top off all fluids.
    4) If it is getting close to your next brake fluid flush, then go ahead and do it.
    5) Set air pressure in the tires about 25% high. For more tire storage info, refer to: http://www.yokohamatire.com/pdf/tsb-112102.pdf
    6) Run the vehicle to get it up to operating temperature, put it where you intend to park it, then use a marine fogging fluid (CRC makes it) in the carburetor with the engine running. After 'bogging ' the engine using the fogging fluid, remove each spark plug and spray some in each cylinder.
    7) Disconnect the battery.

I do all of the above before putting my Rover in storage for the winter. I would avoid using a car cover outside. They tend to trap moisture and move around quite a bit, which can actually rub the paint off.

I agree with Jac04's ideas but we used to let the 109 sit for 6-7 months (even up to a year) at a time without doing a thing to it. Amazingly she would always start right away after a quick check of the fluids.

The only concern I had was that often times I would find moisture sitting on the undercarriage and mechanical parts. I think my choice of parking spots (shady area with little wind) could have been better.

FYI, I am doing a frame over on it right now and I also would loose an exhaust every couple of years. I attribute both of those things to the shady spot with the moisture build up.

Cheers,
    Tim
    Last edited by Tim Smith; 05-21-2007 at 09:15 AM.

Agree with Tim,

A vehicle is going to sit for 6 months no problem. No need to add Sta-Bil, unless sitting for a year or more. If you have a battery drain, you better disconnect at least the negative side.

No real need to change oil, I change after getting out of storage.

Not sure what the fogger is for, but a few shots of oil in each plug hole will be good.

Agree with the rest for long term storage.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

The 'new' gas is known for going bad fairly quick. A few $ worth of Sta-Bil is well worth it.
    The fogger does an excellent job of coating the intake tract as well as the exhaust tract.
    Changing the oil after storage is really the wrong time to do it. Why let used oil sit in the crankcase for 6-7 months when an oil change is so easy?
    Like I said, 6-7 months isn't all that long. He can probably get away with just parking it 'as-is'. However, an ounce of prevention...........

Quote Originally Posted by jac04
    The 'new' gas is known for going bad fairly quick. A few $ worth of Sta-Bil is well worth it...
    Yes, that's true. Back when we would let our 109 sit, my only reference to ethanol was from that episode of the Dukes of Hazard when grandpa' Duke won the race for getting his lawn mower engine to run the best from moon shine.

I've actually heard of all kinds of interesting things about ethanol and it's evaporative problems. Two strokes should be especially aware of ethanol gas and mixing 2 stroke oil. But that is more hearsay and not really related.

when I had my distributor issues, I parked mine for over a year with just a full tank and sta-bil. When I finally added a Pertronix, a little starting fluid in the carb got it running again w/ no problem and it's been fine ever since. I really don't see any issue just parking it with a cover on it....

edit: oh yeah my storage was inside
    Last edited by Bostonian1976; 05-21-2007 at 12:49 PM.