Thread: 1972 Land Rover SIII 88 SWB - $14000 - SOLD!!

Default 1972 Land Rover SIII 88 SWB - $14000 - SOLD!!

1972 Land Rover Series III - $14000

For sale is my Series III 88 SWB, which has been my companion for almost 2 years now. It was bought from a classic car enthusiast, whom used it regularly, but sparingly. I bought it with the intention of having a classic Brit Landy to drive year round, which I have done. During this time, I have had it off the road for 4 months or so to make it not just a driver, but a very nice driver. So, to demonstrate what has been done, a lengthy list follows!! Call me at 719-686-7712 or 719-930-4712 for details or email. Get in it and drive it!!! Thanks, Julian

LINK TO RANDOM PICS TAKEN DURING WORK LATE LAST YEAR: http://s334.photobucket.com/albums/m...SEQ/?start=all

MECHANICAL/PREVIOUS OWNER (AROUND 13000 miles ago-receipts included to verify)
    -Engine rebuild (standard 2.25 petrol)
    -Brakes, including new brake master cylinder from AB
    -Genuine Land Rover new exhaust system
    -Rebuilt Weber 34ICH carb and electronic ignition installed
    -Fairey Overdrive added
    -Other misc smaller items

MECHANICAL/DONE BY ME (AROUND 5000 miles ago/6 months ago or less-receipts included to verify)
    -New exhaust manifold
    -Thermostat replaced (NOS in parts boxes); radiator rodded and repainted
    -All new cooling system hoses (and heating system hoses, to include the sourcing of the proper metal pipes for the SIII heater system); new radiator cap and overflow bottle cap
    -New heater box core
    -New coil, new plugs, cap, rotor, wires
    -New alternator conversion (Delco 94 amp) done properly using Ike Goss conversion brackets/powdercoated
    -New engine and tranny mounts
    -New speedometer cable
    -Entire electrical system untaped, verified for integrity, retaped, and all new bullet connectors and insulated spade terminals installed (only change to the standard electrical system was the PO who installed a trailer pigtail. . ..I removed it and reconnected the standard harness with insulated spade terminals)
    -New gearshift lever, new detent springs, new synchro spring clips
    -New clutch master and slave hydraulics
    -New washer pump (aftermarket, but hidden to retain stock look)
    -New genuine Land Rover NOS steering box from Ike Goss (alignment done also)
    -New horn
    -New battery and all new cables
    -4 new Mudclaw tires. . ...fantastic grip and tread; all new lug nuts
    -New washer/wiper switch (genuine-$100!)
    -New spring and cup seat for the 4wd hi yellow knob lever
    -New wiper blades
    -New temperature sensor in engine block and voltage stabilizer
    -New brake servo booster

EXTERIOR (6 months old)
    -The frame is rock solid and just has light surface rust, most of which was removed with a wire brush and painted by me during the panel removal; bulkhead is rock solid (it had one dime sized hole in the bottom left footwell that was professionally cut out, with the metal replaced by a new footwell I ordered)

-Instead of dealing with fixing dented panels, being Birmabright, almost every panel is replaced with either genuine or aftermarket, so the truck is STRAIGHT (and almost no filler):
    -New left and right doors and door tops (from the UK)
    -New left and right front and rear sills
    -Bought the last rear door lower skin in the US from Atlantic British!
    -Bought some of the last left and right fenders in proper aluminum (not the ABS which are now made) from AB
    -INCREDIBLY RARE---replaced the left and right rear tub sides (left is genuine from Ike Goss, right is aftermarket found NOS). . ...looked for months for these
    -NOS seat box from Ike Goss

-A safari roof was sourced and used to replace the standard roof (windows and vents). . ...completely disassembled and reassembled

-PAINT: The paint is VERY nice, but not perfect (minor orange peel if you look closely). HIGH QUALITY PPG CONCEPT (almost $500/gallon) used for the body (green/aqua reminiscent of marine blue) and limestone used for the side panels and roof.

-All new door handles and locks (2 sets of keys included)
    -Brand new galvanized original bumper
    -New plastic front grille
    -Proper lenses sourced where needed, new reverse lenses, all new side marker rubber plinths

GALVANIZING:
    -All door cappings, tub cappings (interior and exterior) were regalvanized and reinstalled using the proper solid aluminum hammer rivets and/or solid aluminum pop rivets where applicable
    -Splash shields, steering box cover, hood prop, hood latch, front and rear lamp guards, fuel filler assembly and cap, rear bench seat frames, SAFARI ROOF GUTTER, windshield frame, seat runners, jerry can latch, door floor rails (between bulkhead and tub to which floors fasten), door latches, spare tire holder assemblies (hood and interior ones) all regalvanized also

POWERCOATING:

-All SIX rims were powdercoated in limestone
    -All black powercoating includes: front brush guard, front headlamp bezels (Defender look), oil bath cleaner assembly, entire heater assembly, fan blade, clutch and brake towers, entire dash assembly, center steering wheel cover, misc interior brackets and retainers, seat cushion holders, rear tub (3) corner covers, all glass retainers (in grey), all safari roof retainers, jerry can holder, large brackets supporting bulkhead (through which the steering box goes on the left), rear door grab bar, all door hinges, hood underside frame, other items probably forgotten

INTERIOR (6 months old):

-Front seats all brand new
    -Brand new Proline inertia reel seat belts installed (note: none installed in the back)
    -NOS SIII dash top from Ike Goss ($$$)
    -Upper and lower dash completely disassembled, powdercoated, lower dash recovered in black vinyl to match
    -All plastic is without scratches and was repainted, with new decals installed
    -Heater and defrost knobs brand new with correct decals
    -Rear bench seats--frames galvanized, bottoms powdercoated, seat backs reupholstered professionally ($$$), cushions were intact and without tears so simply a quick vinyl paint spray was given
    -Steering wheel repainted, smooth and black, with a new leather (Ike Goss) steering wheel cover
    -All upholstery redone in black (kick and door panels, middle panels, note that the sunvisors, top rails and rear door panel was done in zebra for fun. . ...can be easily reversed in less than a day and for $50 of vinyl!)
    -NEW BADGER headliner kit
    -New gear shift knobs (ALL of them) and gaiters
    -New heavy duty rubber front mats and new rear mat
    -New firewall lining
    -New pedal pads
    -All new window tracks (rear tracks are the expensive stainless kind)

EXTRAS--as this was intended to be a very nice driver in the mountains:
    -GENUINE NOS LUCAS fog lamps and covers
    -Brush guard
    -Front and rear headlamp guards over the proper lamps (L833, etc. . .)
    -NEW unused red jerry can
    -HEATED GLASS---left and right windshield ($$) and rear glass; switches mounted to the left of the ashtray on a genuine LUCAS switch accessory panel from the 70s!
    -JVC AM FM CD USB stereo with 2 box speakers mounted in the back top corners of the roof (on the rail, not through the roof). . ..note I bought a USB stereo as I knew the CD would get damaged with all the vibration (the CD now skips)
    -GENUINE new worklamp on the rear
    -Altimeter and Smiths analog clock added to the 2 spare holes in the center gauge cluster (no cutting. . ..fit right in)
    -Proper wiring harnesses built to power these items (extra fuse box and relays). . ..NONE of this interacts with the stock harness, to maintain its integrity and match the wiring diagram!
    -PO installed a Defender rear bumper professionally so that you can use a proper tow hitch setup (I've never used it though)
    -Hand throttle
    -Genuine optional ashtray sourced
    -Land Rover mudflaps installed
    -Custom made Union Jack decal for the sunscreen on the safari roof (everyone loves it. . ..just like a MINI!)
    -Starting handle included, along with original owner's handbook (falling apart), Haynes manual, and SEVERAL TUBS OF SPARES (including an extra head and driveshafts and diff and steering box)
    -Snap on radiator muff
    -Tachometer installed

ISSUES
    -Leaks (don't they all?!)
    -On occasion, 2nd gear pops out of gear on deceleration (done for years per the PO)
    -Headlamps only work on hi beam (NOT a wiring issue. . ..the switch is bad even though it is new. . ...never bothered to replace as I need all the light out of those suckers I can get!)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_5324.jpg 
Views:	729 
Size:	171.2 KB 
ID:	6809Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_5326.jpg 
Views:	619 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	6810Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_5327.jpg 
Views:	595 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	6811Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_5328.jpg 
Views:	560 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	6812
    Last edited by knac1234; 08-13-2012 at 08:03 AM.
    Julian
    72 Series III NAS
    03 Disco
    04 Freelander (sold, but still running strong)
    2011 LR2 (Fuji White/Tan....per the wife )
    65 MGB / 73 MGBGT
    71 RHD Hillman Super Imp

Default SOLD!

All,

This sold in one day at full price! Heading to San Diego in August.

THANKS,
    Julian
    Julian
    72 Series III NAS
    03 Disco
    65 MGB / 73 MGBGT
    71 RHD Hillman Super Imp

FOR SALE AGAIN---Buyer had some medical issues, and left me a non refundable deposit! Back on the block a great truck once again!

Julian
    Julian
    72 Series III NAS
    03 Disco
    65 MGB / 73 MGBGT
    71 RHD Hillman Super Imp

Quote Originally Posted by knac1234 View Post
    FOR SALE AGAIN---Buyer had some medical issues, and left me a non refundable deposit! Back on the block a great truck once again!

Julian
    In other words....his wife found out!!!!
    04 Disco, Gone-Disco died & so did mine
    '72 S3 88 - Leakey & Squeaky

Could be.......there was tons of interest, and so am back at it with a positive attitude!

Julian
    Julian
    72 Series III NAS
    03 Disco
    65 MGB / 73 MGBGT
    71 RHD Hillman Super Imp

SOLD AGAIN AND TRAILERED UP TO DENVER!
    Julian
    72 Series III NAS
    03 Disco
    65 MGB / 73 MGBGT
    71 RHD Hillman Super Imp