Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fliuds

isn't this forum great! Thanks again guys.
    Where else can one find all this experience?
    I am sure I will be posting more questions once I get into checking the truck out.
    Wayne
    Beautiful downtown Quinton, VA

1982 Series III 88 Country
    2001 Disco II, Zebramobile-Sold

Series 3 LWB/109".

How much brake fluid should you expect to use on a complete replacement ?

I haven't sent it listed anywhere.

I would look into using a gl-4 gear oil instead of a gl-5. If you do a little internet research, you will see that there are a lot of folks that say the newer gl-5 will eat away at soft yellow metal in these older transmissions and t-cases. I don't know if this is true, but worth looking into and making your own call on it. I wish that someone had told me this when I first got my truck. I noticed when I drained out the regular gear oil I could actually see yellow metal content in the used fluid. Also for motor oil, I have read that most newer oils have less zink and phosphorus than what is required for a older flat tappet engine. I use mobile 1 15-50 because it is specifically formulated with flat tappet applications in mind. Just my 2 cents, you really have to form your own opinion, since everyone will tell you something different!

Bobistheoilguy

Everything you ever wanted to know about any fluid that goes near a vehicle. Be warned, once you start reading the information and understanding the technical aspects behind lubrication you might find yourself spending hours in the oil aisle choosing just the right oil.

I Love the cheap and cheerful 90w for the gearbox, diffs, and transfer case, yes it will leak out, it is cheap and plentiful in the large container, always a good idea to check your fluids often on these cars, take notice to the color of your brake fluid, should not be beyond a carmel color a mechanic told me. cheers.