Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Won't Start

bkreutz, thanks! It was reccommended I check the under-bonnet fuse panel for corrosion, but I didn't know to check for the BCU. I will hopefully have time to check tomorrow and will update.

Hey PJ, not sure how much advise I can give when it comes to the electronics on these beasts. I have heard of the leaky window/door issue affecting the BCU that Gale mentions but I've never actually seen one in the flesh. I'm not sure if this alone would be causing the starting issue but it certainly could be affecting the other items if it has taken on water & corroded. Were you able to get a scanner and check for failure codes?

I'm dead in the water on mine until my IAC valve shows up...fingers crossed.

Well I just removed the BCU and there's no apparent water damage or corrosion, could the BCU simply fault for no reason?

BKreutz, I checked the BCU, no corosion or apparent damage that I can see. I checked the fuel pump, and it seems to be working fine (spat fuel everywhere). My buddy thought "what the hell" and swapped a few of the relays around and it started up just fine...until...about an hour later when we tried starting it and it wouldn't start. I have a couple of new relays on order (4-prong yellow) so I'll pop those in for the fuel pump and see. As an aside, my buddy's dad thought to check all the fuses with a tool he has (lights up when it completes the circuit), and two of my fuses in the interior fuse box aren't working, and the new ones we put in aren't either. I wonder if this could mean a fault with the fuse box itself. Also, he checked the multiplug for the blower motor, and with the same tool it didn't light up, so I'm thinking it's not getting juice (my a/c hasn't worked for a while, nor has the sunroofs). I ran a code reader on the computer and it doesn't seem to be compatible with LR's, and none of the local shops have a reader that's compatible. What else can I check? Thanks for your help, and sorry for such a long post.

Not all the fuses in the fusebox are powered all the time so that test may not mean anything is actually wrong. Some circuits only power up when the appropriate switch is activated. Generic OBDII code readers will only read the emission codes as required by DOT (so a regular scanner should be able to access things like misfires, 02 sensors, and things like that). The rest of the systems (ABS, SLS, SRS, Climate Control) have proprietary software that require special scanners to access them. Have you looked through the RAVE manual that I gave a link to in an earlier post? There's lots of stuff in there (including wiring diagrams) . Good luck.
    Gale Breitkreutz
    '03 Disco
    '74 Series III 88 (sold, 4/13)
    '47 CJ2A

The scanner we used was OBDII, so good to know. I'll look into a better scanner and will check with the dealer, they may be willing to read the codes for me at no charge, they've helped me out with info and advice before. I did look thru the RAVE manual, quite a lengthy read, and it does have great info. It's a little over my head at times, but I'm getting there. It definitely helps. I'm gonna look into the wiring first, trace it all and make sure everything looks ok, as long as I can get it to start I'll be able to get over to the dealer for the codes. Thanks.