Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Series Trailer Wiring

Default Series Trailer Wiring

What are people who tow small trailers behind their series trucks doing for trailer wiring? I'm looking at perhaps acquiring a Sankey trailer and I have no trailer wiring on my series? Thoughts, tips, comments etc......

I have a 63' series 2a 88"
    1963 Series IIA
    2006 LR3 V6 SE
    1993 RRC LWB (Sold)

Sankey trailer as in military? Chances are you will have a Nato ring on it, which is easy enough to replace with a trailer hitch, unless you want originality (and don't want hearing once the ring starts clanging about). It may also be fitted for 24V, with a Nato plug and most civvy vehicles do not have the wiring to support that. Again, it is easy enough to pull al the wires out and put in a new wiring loom. Then all you have to do is wire it into your existing circuit with a standard 12/24V flat or round trailer plug (what ever is the standard around where you live).

Personally, I'd also take the opportunity to get 12/24V LEDs fitted too. I have done this will my trailers so now I can use them on the 24V and 12V vehicles.
    Alan

109 Stage 1 V8 ex-army FFR
    2005 Disco 2 HSE

http://www.youtube.com/user/alalit

Thanks Guys. I picked up a taillight converter gizmo and still have to install it. Has anyone tried and had success with mounting a step bumper hitch to a Series? (something like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/5000-lb...ver-67158.html)

I know there are some 2" hitches out there for our trucks (Pangolin, Rovers North) but I really don't tow that often with the Series but would love the option of hooking up my little utility trailer to tow around the property or maybe on short jaunts to the city. They look quality but still a little pricey in my opinion ($200)

The Toyota guys have these available for light duty towing: http://www.jtoutfitters.com/receiver...rd-p-3069.html

Any comments are appreciated.
    1963 Series IIA
    2006 LR3 V6 SE
    1993 RRC LWB (Sold)

Whatever you get, you ought to make certain it is rated for a minimum 3.5 tonne braked. The standard LR hitches already are.

On mine, I have a hole that goes right through the rear cross member and the hitch goes right into it. It is bolted with plates welded on both sides and with 12M high tensile bolts. It's strong enough.
    Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE

It is perhaps not very easy to see but this is what I was describing. If you want to see it better, let me know.

The square box section you see goes right through the rear crossmember and the bolts are secured by a backing plate welded to the cross member from the inside.

Last edited by disco2hse; 10-05-2012 at 02:16 PM.
    Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE

IMHO the best receiver hitch assembly out there for a Series truck is one from Ike Goss at Pangolin 4X4.
    Jim

All the wiring for the lights are on 4 way bullet connectors. If you take off the light cover boxes you'll see. You need only make up the short pigtail that connects the trailer plug to these connectors. Wiring diagrams available all over the web. Britishwiring.com has all the wiring and connectors you could ever need. You can wire the Sankey with a regular NATO style plug so that you get separate stop and turn signal lights as God/Lucas intended.
    I am not sure but you may even be able to hit them up for a pre made trailer pigtail. They can make stuff like that on a custom basis.

Hi guys,
    I have the same question as SeriesCanuck, but after reading this I'm still not sure if I need the converter that East High recommended, or can I wire a flat-4 connector direct to the car wiring (68 Series 2A)? Is that what you recommend o2batsea? Could you possibly point to a wiring diagram that shows how you deal with separate stop lights and flashers? Thanks.