Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disco II Tire size question

Default Disco II Tire size question

My 2004 Disco II is rated for 255/55/18's. Would a 285/60/18 fit without a lift? Also, does anyone have any suggestions on a type/brand of tire for a replacement AT tire?

The PO had installed 285/60/18's on mine, I didn't like them, the speedo was way off (indicated 50 MPH and I was passing everyone on the freeway), also everything looked too close for comfort. I only drove it on the street for a couple of weeks before I replaced them. I would almost bet (almost, but I didn't want to try) that any offroading would have resulted in contact somewhere in the fenderwell. I replaced them with 265/60/18 Yokohama Geolander AT and have had not clearance issues (and the speedo is only 2 MPH off at 60MPH)
    Gale Breitkreutz
    '03 Disco
    '74 Series III 88 (sold, 4/13)
    '47 CJ2A

I have 265/75/R16 on mine and my spedo is crazy off. If I'm going 65 according to the spedo I'm really going about 75.
    Zack Griswold
    Photos/Sales
    http://i.imgur.com/z2wLIw6.jpg - 1995 300Tdi Disco 5 Speed

How do you like the geolanders? I am also looking at firestone destination a/t and duellers.

I like the Geolanders a lot, (the AT's) This is the second set I've gotten (two different vehicles), so I guess that says it all.
    Gale Breitkreutz
    '03 Disco
    '47 CJ2A

Hi,
    I'm guessing you meant 265/55-18. I am too in the middle of figuring out tire size, because nobody make winter tires in the 255/65-16 as the OE. I found this little tool helpful comparing quickly different tire sizes: http://www.powerdog.com/tiresize.cgi . Won't help much with clearance issue though.
    2004 Discovery S
    2011 VW Jetta SportWagen TDI

Quote Originally Posted by ccairoli View Post
    Hi,
    I'm guessing you meant 265/55-18. I am too in the middle of figuring out tire size, because nobody make winter tires in the 255/65-16 as the OE. I found this little tool helpful comparing quickly different tire sizes: http://www.powerdog.com/tiresize.cgi . Won't help much with clearance issue though.
    Not sure who you're responding to with that statement (that's why the "reply with quote" option is handy. But if it's me, I did mean 265/60-18, that's what is on mine at the moment.
    Gale Breitkreutz
    '03 Disco
    '47 CJ2A

Sorry it was meant for the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by bkreutz View Post
    Not sure who you're responding to with that statement (that's why the "reply with quote" option is handy. But if it's me, I did mean 265/60-18, that's what is on mine at the moment.
    2004 Discovery S
    2011 VW Jetta SportWagen TDI

I'm running 265/75r16 BFG rugged trail on mine with a stock suspension and the only issue I have is the speedo reads about 3 mph slower than actual speed. Im thinking of trying a wider tire with the same height I have now cause I get a lot of snow here. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by jjd2113 View Post
    I'm running 265/75r16 BFG rugged trail on mine with a stock suspension and the only issue I have is the speedo reads about 3 mph slower than actual speed. Im thinking of trying a wider tire with the same height I have now cause I get a lot of snow here. Any suggestions?
    A skinnier tire will do better in snow. You could go with 235 85r16.
    Zack Griswold
    Photos/Sales
    http://i.imgur.com/z2wLIw6.jpg - 1995 300Tdi Disco 5 Speed