Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: wheel brake or emergency brake stuck?

Default wheel brake or emergency brake stuck?

So needness to say life has been busy and I did not move my landrover IIa since December. It started right up but when I went to put it in gear to back up the truck it would barely move (even when reving the engine a good amount). My emergecy brake is the type that is connected to the transmission and I had it up (on) for the last 5 months so I am thinking that although I released the handle it might still be stuck? Also just installed new brake lines and master cyclinder before having it parked.

Has anybody else had this issue? Any thoughts and advice would be grealy appreciated.

Assuming everything worked fine when you parked it. Try 4 low and see if you can muster some more leverage and free a stuck hand brake shoe.

Drive it more!

Get a jack out and start checking.
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Thank for the ideas. I realize that I deserve what I get for not driving it over the winter (just being mindful of the salt they put on the roads in the Northeast). Any thought on the value of carefully spraying WD-40 around the brake components to loosen things up?

Thanks,

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Mule View Post
    Assuming everything worked fine when you parked it. Try 4 low and see if you can muster some more leverage and free a stuck hand brake shoe.

I don't think there is any value in the idea of lubing with WD-40 at this point. If it is seized, then you have to figure out where, and adjust and repair accordingly.

You need to determine if its the linkage binding (which is hard to believe it would be) or the shoes stuck to the drum. In that case luging anything won't accomplish much. I would would second putting the truck in low and seeing if you can pop it free. The alternative is to disassemble.
    1995 NAS D-90 Soft Top, AA Yellow
    1973 Series III '88 Hard Top, Limestone
    1957 Series I, Deep bronze green

Probably stuck on. Not unusual. Release the handle, check the bottom end (by the drum) that the cable is slack. If so, stick in low reverse or first, ease off the clutch progressively so it kind of jerks. It should come lose with a loud bang.

*Do not* use lubricant on your brakes.
    Alan

109 Stage 1 V8 ex-army FFR
    2005 Disco 2 HSE

http://www.youtube.com/user/alalit

Oh by the way. Nothing wrong with not using the vehicle on salty winter roads but in future, leave it in gear and not with the handbrake on, or if the slope is severe, use wheel chocks.
    Alan

109 Stage 1 V8 ex-army FFR
    2005 Disco 2 HSE

http://www.youtube.com/user/alalit

Quote Originally Posted by disco2hse View Post
    Release the handle, check the bottom end (by the drum) that the cable is slack.
    What's this cable thou speak of....???
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president