Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: wheel brake or emergency brake stuck?

Thanks all for the guidance and advice that should get me back on track over the weekend. As mentioned I just had a new master cylinder and hoses put in/on a month before parking it and the brakes were all adjusted then and the truck ran fine for the next month. Definitely an issue with the pressure, also when I moved the floor mat from under the pedals it had oil/brake fluid caught in the mat???

Quote Originally Posted by SafeAirOne View Post
    The concerning factor is that the brake pedal is hard and only moves 1". Either all the shoes are adjusted all the way out and against the drums or the system is staying pressurized. The MC should be displacing more fluid than that if the system is operating properly.

In the event that someone else has the same issue in the future here is how things ultimately played out. It ended up being that the check value on the master cylinder needed to be adjusted so that the pressure in the lines could be released and bleed off when the brake pedal was released.

The first time I adjusted it too much meaning I had no brakes so I just adjusted it the other way. I will see how things are working tonight after sitting for a day (I might adjust it back a little bit more so that the brakes engage a little earlier when I hit the pedal.

Thank you to everyone for your help, beyond saving a little money, the satisfaction in figuring it out on my own was priceless.

Best Regards,

Mark

In other words, it was (essentially) a vacuum leak?

Edit---Nevermind...wrong thread. The brake booster wasn't releasing when it was supposed to.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).