Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AC Installation Advise - D90 with 2.5TD Engine

I think it will be fine with respect to the HP. The AC Compressor is powered by bests to the water pump and will continue when idling. I don't think the HP or lack of will cause too much of an issue. Once I get it installed I will let you know how it works. Have to pick up the car first - waiting on CBP to release after they do their obligatory checking of VIN etc.

Nancy Astor: “Sir, if you were my husband, I would give you poison.”
    Churchill: “If I were your husband I would take it.”

I think you over estimate your engine as far as the load the compressor will put on it.

Your engine is a v belt engine. It sounds as though they have supplied a homemade compressor bracket as the td front timing cover isn't set up for a/c. You will have to drill and tap the timing cover in order to mount the compressor bracket. You will need a disco 200tdi front crank pully if your crank pully doesn't have an empty belt slot. The access plate on the front cover that gives access to the injection timing adjustments is replaced with a 200 tdi cover that has a tnesioner built in. this is how its been done on the older trucks I have seen a/c on. If you have a serpentine belt setup I don't see how they intended that to work.
    DividingCreekImports.com
    Tdi 130 Crew Cab x2
    110 V8 5 door

Personally I have no clue why the sent me the two pieces of equipment they sent to me. They sent me an AC Belt idler pulley for a 300 TDI which is a serpentine belt. That will not work. I have ordered an AC Belt idler pulley for the 200TDI from an outfit in Houston. They will have it to me on Tuesday. They also sent me a Pulley for the water pump - 300TDI - again not going to do a thing because we are dealing with a V-belt versus a Serpentine belt configuration. Essentially I do not believe the guys in the UK that sold me this vehicle have a clue about the installation of the AC Kit they provided with the car.

I am not going to do anything as far as ordering parts until I get the car and have a look at what is in in the AC Kit and what is currently under the hood. I know that I will have to fabricate a bracket for the AC Compressor to mount it to the engine. I may or may not have to change out the water pump pulley - depends on what is there already. V-Belts do allow for a bit more versatility in how you can get the system to work. I also know that if I do need an AC Idler Pulley the one for the 200tdi that I ordered will work with some slight modification to the mounting bracket.

This is just going to be a wait and see situation - once the vehicle is released to me from customs (fingers crossed this week) then I will tackle this AC issue and figure this one out. Right now I am blind not knowing what is in the AC kit and not knowing what is under the hood as far as current equipment.

For your amusement the parts I received from the folks in the UK were the following:

Drive Belt Tensioner ERR4708
    Pulley Water Pump ERR3734

I already know just from schematics and my repair manuals - neither of those parts will do a thing for the purpose of installing an AC kit into my 2.5 Diesel Turbo.

Les thanks for the assistance today on the pulleys. Let me know what you find out on the Compressor mounting parts. Also does anyone know if I will have to change Alternators from the current 45AMP to 65AMP? Obviously will want to do all of this at one time.

Have found some Universal mounting kits for Sanden Compressors for special engine applications. May be SOL on the parts but will let everyone know how this turns out.

Gents for all those interested. I have now found everything needed to install the AC kit thanks to everyone at Rovers North. The 300TDI kits work but it requires you to not use the compressor that comes in the kit. You need to source a new Sanden Compressor which I have done. When my pulleys come in I will start a new thread with Photos and the step by step instructions on installation, including Parts needed and where to get them.

Essentially the Kits you get for the 300 TDI will work for the older engine and the modifications are very minor. Shopping list besides compressor also includes new alternator, AC Tensioner Pulley (may not be needed) and the Mounting Bracket for the compressor. More information to follow after a few weeks.

Has DHS let your truck out of Jail yet?
    67 angry hamsters

Quote Originally Posted by bsjbrown View Post
    Gents for all those interested. I have now found everything needed to install the AC kit thanks to everyone at Rovers North. The 300TDI kits work but it requires you to not use the compressor that comes in the kit. You need to source a new Sanden Compressor which I have done. When my pulleys come in I will start a new thread with Photos and the step by step instructions on installation, including Parts needed and where to get them.

Essentially the Kits you get for the 300 TDI will work for the older engine and the modifications are very minor. Shopping list besides compressor also includes new alternator, AC Tensioner Pulley (may not be needed) and the Mounting Bracket for the compressor. More information to follow after a few weeks.
    Of course they work. The only part of the kit that is sensitive to what engine you have is the compressor. The rest of the system is universal with the exception of some plumbing bends to mate with different compressor locations.
    DividingCreekImports.com
    Tdi 130 Crew Cab x2
    110 V8 5 door

I did one couple years back to to 2.5 n/a , I bought an after market kit online from one of those ac companies for a classic mustang and made the compressor bracket and an a/c company locally made up the hoses for me...also upgraded the alternator to 110 amp..I fabricated all the mounting brackets, pretty decent for my first time...here in miami you need a/c