Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: runs like crap

When Advance Distributors rebuilt my 25D he recommended I set it to 12-14 degrees BTDC. So I don't think you're that far out.

It's good that you figured out your problem (for now). one of the many things that has happened to me was that there is a small machined part that is under the triangular distributor, that holds the clamping bolt. it converts the distributor drive to the offste slot for the distributor base. many have put ti in 180 off, which makes you distributor 180 degrees out. I am thinking that the initial drive gear off the cam might be used for the diesel moters too. the piece has two flags that stick out to fit in the slot on the drive gear, the other end has the offset slot for the distributor. in my case one of the flags had broken off and allowed the diatributor to change the timing dramatically. I thought it was the dist. even took it in to have it tested. pain in the a**.
    the other item concerns the timing chain. they stretch.. some tomes alot. and the timing chain tightener would not go into the next slot on the saw tooth arm that hold the chain tight. you could see it had room to move to the next position, but would not go past the key on the arm to fall in the next postion. a sharp blow with a hammer and piect of wood did it...sometimes. it got to the point that the timing chain had so much slack that it started rubbing in the timing chain cover.
    also, if/when you ever remove you front cover, you may notice that the caam gear has several slots you you can put the cam gear on and change its position relative to the cam. as you timing chain stretches it will change cam timing, and so performance. you can see how much it is off by where the cam gear points to the stud on the block. by rotating the gear you can put it on in one of the other slots on the cam gear to compensate for chain stretching. (not all cam gears have multiple slots, some just have one). htis is just to let you know that your loss of power may be related to timing chain stretch, and may just need reallignment to improve power output from you engine. Hope this helps, just a thought from me, I've owned my s11a for over forty years and have just about every part in my hand, many more than once..owing a land rover is more of a hobby than amode of transportation. I think its like having a bi-polar girlfriend, when she's happy it all good, but that can change very quickly. a rover will make you alot of friends. just remember. it's only a rover...rove on my friends. bobzinak

What kind of carb are you using ?, zenith carbs are notorious for warpage at the base , screwing uo the air fuel mixture. but my bet is a vaccum leak.

Rochester carb, in good shape.