Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bondo on my Birmabright

A blow torch and a spatula work well too. Just heat up the bondo a little and then scrape it right off. Much cleaner than chemicals or sanding. Wear a mask anyway.
    1968 Series IIA
    1962 Jaguar Mk 2

Quote Originally Posted by parrie View Post
    Thought about chemicals but was affraid that it could possibly damage the aluminum. Maybe i'll have to experiment on one of the trashed panels.
    I use a product called "aircraft stripper". I get it at any parts place around here. Has no ill affects on the base metals, steel or aluminum. Works great.
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Heat gun with the paint scraper that came with it, and a manual wire brush seemed to do a good job on an Austin Healey roadster with an alloy body in our shop. The Healey is a lot curvier than a Land-Rover, the Rover should be a piece of cake by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by I Leak Oil View Post
    I use a product called "aircraft stripper". I get it at any parts place around here. Has no ill affects on the base metals, steel or aluminum. Works great.
    I use the same stuff but I don't know if you have noticed that when the weather is very dry as in low humidity the stripper tends to dry too fast and doesn't do as good a job yet on humid days it performs much better.
    1971 series 2a 88, series 3 trans, Fairey OD, owned since 1978.

Yup, if you leave it on too long it gets dry which makes it a little more work to remove, don't leave it on long enough and it's not as affective. I usually do this type of work in the summe when it's humid anyway.
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president