Thread: Welding Engine Mounts

Default Welding Engine Mounts

Good morning everyone, I've finally removed everything from the old frame and starting on the new frame. Questions: 1) what gauge is the steel on the frame? 2) I have a simple 70 amp welder; is that sufficient to weld an engine mount to the frame?

1) 14ga (0.0747").
    2) Your welder's manual should say what setting is recommended for a particular thickness of steel.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

I'm assumming that you have a regular stick welder? What is the welding output; AC or combination AC/DC? The output will narrow down what you have for welding rod options. A 70amp welder will work if you are using the correct rod for the output of the machine however I would do alot of practicing especially if you will be welding in position...welding verticals and over-head will be tricky if you are not experienced.

When I replaced my rear cross member and repaired some sections of frame, I used a 225 amp AC stick welder set at 65-75amps and 1/8th 6013 rod, for the dirty bits 6011 rod.
    1971 series 2a 88, series 3 trans, Fairey OD, owned since 1978.

Just welded up a pair of bulkhead outriggers in 14ga using my Millermatic 135 (110v) MIG welder using .023" solid-core wire and steel mix gas. The settings I used will be irrelevant to you unless you're using a MM 135, however.

Whatever welder you're using will most likely be sufficient for the job, depending what thickness steel you're using for the mounts. The danger is burning holes through the sheet steel chassis, rather than not having enough penetration, though 14ga is fairly hefty stuff, as sheet steel goes.

--Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).