Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steering Wheel Refurb - Any One Do It?

Default Steering Wheel Refurb - Any One Do It?

There are posts on here about doing it. I'm not looking to do it myself, but rather I want to know if anyone on here is willing to do it for me? Let me know your price!

Mine is just suffering from the usual sticky situation that eventually develops on all of the S3 wheels.

After doing a lot of reading I took mine off. Cleaned it with a mild solvent and buffed it with fine steel wool. I then painted it with a paint specifically for plastic and it has been great since. Wasn't hard at all.
    1995 NAS D-90 Soft Top, AA Yellow
    1973 Series III '88 Hard Top, Limestone
    1957 Series I, Deep bronze green

Just bring it to your local body shop. Have it prepped & painted with a high quality urethane automotive paint.

Exit 105 off the parkway on the jersey shore

If I remember correctly there is a shop/company in the UK now that is taking old steering wheels and making them new. Like Artpeck said just take it off sand it down, making sure to grind or sand into the cracks/splits. Then fill in with epoxy, sand everything down, wipe down. Last is hit it with some epoxy paint a few times and it will look good. I used rustoleum epoxy spray can stuff that is used on appliances.

you can finish it off with one of Ike's sweet covers when you're done
    ------------------------------------------------
    72 SIII 88
    67 SIIA 109
    82 SIII Stage 1 V8
    -- http://www.youtube.com/barnfind88 --

I recently chipped my steering wheel and have been wondering what to do as it too could do with a make over. After reading the replies here it seems that the paint is not that important. So far we have a paint for plastic, a urethane automotive paint and an epoxy paint. I do have some black urethane auto paint I could use but that needs to be clear coated to finish, I do have clear coat but not sure about clear coating the steering wheel or perhaps that's exactly what it needs to protect the paint from wear. I could give the clear coat an "orange peel" effect or perhaps not as that would tend to show wear more.
    1971 series 2a 88, series 3 trans, Fairey OD, owned since 1978.

Repainting the wheel will not stabilize it or prevent any future rot. The bakelite is degrading. Painting it does not stop that. You need to send it to someone who will recast the wheel in a poly plastic. That is the only long term solution.

Eric - that's what I was thinking. I think I"m going to have it chemically dipped to remove the bakelite stuff, then I'll find somewhere to dip it.

Or you can do it at home.
    http://www.lrsoc.com/forum/index.php...36664#msg36664
    I sent you a PM Anthony too.

Your box is full.

Quote Originally Posted by westcoastkevin View Post
    Or you can do it at home.
    http://www.lrsoc.com/forum/index.php...36664#msg36664
    I sent you a PM Anthony too.