Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steering Wheel Refurb - Any One Do It?

Not any more. I did not realize.

hmmm bakelite is pretty stable stuff. You really think you have to remove all of the plastic from the wheel and remold a whole new rim? Seems drastic. Like just get another wheel drastic.

I would at least try some wet sanding, epoxy, more sanding, and then a good paint job first. then if you decide the wheel is toast, you can spend and have the whole thing remolded, or just find another in good shape.
    ---- 1969 Bugeye ----
    ---- 1962 Dormobile ----

Check Hemming's, there are guys in there that specialize in steering wheel restoration......Donnie
    I spent most of my money on women & cars, the rest of it I just wasted.......

My Banjo wheel was sticky and degrading, I put one of Ike's covers on it and Bob's Yer Uncle. Worth every penny.........

Hankster110

Quote Originally Posted by Revtor View Post
    hmmm bakelite is pretty stable stuff. You really think you have to remove all of the plastic from the wheel and remold a whole new rim? Seems drastic. Like just get another wheel drastic.

I would at least try some wet sanding, epoxy, more sanding, and then a good paint job first. then if you decide the wheel is toast, you can spend and have the whole thing remolded, or just find another in good shape.
    It's not Bakelite. It's similar. If it was stable, it would not rot and come off in your hand.

Drastic? Common place in a proper restoration. Other marques do it all the time - from Land Cruisers to Mustangs. Problem with decent wheels to replace one is they are hard to find and cover a good deal of the cost to recast a wheel. Mosat are running about 100 for a decent wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
    Check Hemming's, there are guys in there that specialize in steering wheel restoration......Donnie
    Be careful. Most of those guys go the epoxy and paint route and most state specifically they won't warrant their work for very long. SO you can do the same thing yourself for much cheaper.

I think the solution depends on what your goal is. I know, amazing conclusion huh? If you're looking to restore your truck and looking for an original look, fit and finish then by all means have one recast.

If you're like most owners and just don't want to scrub the black stuff off your hands then epoxy and paint will probably be fine and will in all likelyhood outlast your ownership of the truck. It's kind of like a Toyota owner buying one because it may last for 250K miles. That's fine but the vast majority of people never own the vehicle for that amount of time or mileage and never see that particular benefit.

I just put a cover on mostly because it's easier to get a grip on the wheel when my hands are wet or dirty. Has worked fine for me for a long time now.
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Quote Originally Posted by Eric W S View Post
    It's not Bakelite. It's similar.
    I think it's some special blend of goat crap, Scottish hay and London steet sweepings!
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

I just replaced my Column and wheel with one from Flaming River. My wheel was in good shape - 74 series III. If you want to replace drop me a line.

Quote Originally Posted by I Leak Oil View Post
    I think it's some special blend of goat crap, Scottish hay and London steet sweepings!
    Amen.