Thread: Stainless Brake Lines

Default Stainless Brake Lines

Hello,

I'm looking for some brake lines for my S3 that are rust-resistant. I don't want to fabricate them myself; I'd rather go with the a kit like our host offers, except I don't think that's made from a metal that won't turn to splinters in a decade of salty conditions. (Les or whoever feel free to let me know if you use an alloy that wont).

Does anyone know of a source for a S3, 109 brake line kit that fits my aspirations?

I would imagine that solid stainless steel pipes would be prone to working hardening and stress fracturing

This is the same reason copper is not allowed in this country.
    Alan

109 Stage 1 V8 ex-army FFR
    2005 Disco 2 HSE

http://www.youtube.com/user/alalit

It doesn't have to be stainless steel - any alloy is fine with me, I just want to avoid what I've discovered happened to all of the ten year old brake lines that were on the machine.

CuNifer lines are the way to go. Copper/Nickel alloy. Mine have been installed for...at least the 9 years I've owned my 109 and for some time before that. I drive it 5 days a week in the NH winter. All the lines are still perfect.

Federal Hill sells the stuff. So does NAPA, but FedHill will rent you a great flaring tool with the correct flaring apparatus for the old Rovers.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

I'll second Kunifer brake pipes. When I re-framed my SIII, I bought a kit from Trevor. Easy. I've also fabbed Kunifer pipes for the last MG I restored. Easy to work too. I'll never use anything else. Don't use copper or stainless. Stainless is especially pron to work hardening.
    © 1974 Apis Mellifera. Few rights preserved.

I wonder if our hosts sell the alloy brake lines. I don't remember seeing them, but I never specifically looked, either.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Stainless lines are fine but expensive and too shiny for a rover. CuNiFe lines are easy to work with and you can get the tubing at NAPA. They will cost less and will last plenty long enough. No special flaring needed either.
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

He said he doesn't want to fab the pipes which is why I didn't recommend stainless. Unless he's buying pre-bent (not sure I've seen a kit for a Series), any kit you buy will need to be uncoiled and shaped. The more stainless is bent, to more it resists bending, if that's a concern, OP. Trevor is the only place I could find a LHD S3 Kunifer brake pipe kit. It's made by Automec and he has a kit for virtually every iteration of Series trucks, including a S3 109.
    © 1974 Apis Mellifera. Few rights preserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Apis Mellifera View Post
    He said he doesn't want to fab the pipes which is why I didn't recommend stainless. Unless he's buying pre-bent (not sure I've seen a kit for a Series), any kit you buy will need to be uncoiled and shaped. The more stainless is bent, to more it resists bending, if that's a concern, OP. Trevor is the only place I could find a LHD S3 Kunifer brake pipe kit. It's made by Automec and he has a kit for virtually every iteration of Series trucks, including a S3 109.
    The Automec kit is terrific, in my view. Every piece is precut, flared and labeled. One caveat: I did notice that some pieces were too long, and needed to be cut (and flared) to fit properly.

Ted

I haven't bought a pre-made pipe yet that isn't too long or too short to fit nicely. Some haven't even had the correct flare on them.
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president