Thread: Changing the cluch - motor in our seatbox out?

Default Changing the cluch - motor in our seatbox out?

What is the opinion on changing the clutch, etc on a 1961 Series IIA

There is one camp that feels pulling the motor is the best.....

And another camp that is more vocal saying it's insane to pull the motor when all you have to do is drop the drive shaft and remove the seatbox to do the job.

Whatcha'll think?

I prefer to remove the transmission through the passenger side door, it really is very straight forward, I might add though I recently replaced the clutch, pressure plate and machined the flywheel about 6 months after having it all apart, at that time the starter ring gear was ok, when I removed it the second time there were two teeth missing and it took awhile to get a starter ring gear so it was apart for awhile.
    1971 series 2a 88, series 3 trans, Fairey OD, owned since 1978.

I say seatbox. That's what the bible says to do. It's what I've done before. Once the seatbox and floor is out, it's all right there.
    '67 sIIa 88

Seat box is the way to go. Doesn't seem logical to some but it is definately much less work through the seat box.

Path chosen depends on how rusted/corroded/seized the seat box and ALL floorboard associated hardware is. If everything is relatively corrosion free, remove the seatbox. Otherwise, take the "more difficult" route. I've literally spent hours removing floorboards, then had to deal with a swiss cheese seatbox that would have been better left alone.